The Farang Myth Match

The Farang Myth Match

Postby JUSTDIS on Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:24 am

An expat musician who leads his own band here was heard to claim he supports no less than 12 Thais
who allegedly make a living from his efforts as their leader, him finding gigs and getting top dollar for their efforts as he does.

An expat publisher retired in Isaan claims to all who will listen that he supports 28 people in his wife’s immediate family now he's jumped the broom in the Land of Smiles. And almost any farang married to a Thai will boast how his new, extended family live high on the hog now that he’s splitting his savings or pension with his new wife. And of course the quality of life in any village rises exponentially the moment any farang builds a house among the 'downtrodden' peasants. Patronising crap. If some of the family members got wind of their new in-law’s vacuous boasts, there would be at least one farang with good reason then to shut his big mouth and get on with reading his morning newspaper, or better still, move to Malaysia where they...after all...know better! And only me, the missus and the kid living off my plunder. Shame on me!

"Mum...can I borrow an egg or two...?"
JUSTDIS

Re: The Farang Myth Match

Postby keith1867 on Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:08 pm

Hi

My goodness there is one thing I don't like and that is people bragging about what they have got or how important they are and I think this is what that Band leader is on about. I think it is no ones business expect my own on how I spend my money whether it be helping my wife's family or a big car, house, boat etc. I won't be telling anyone and will they really care and it may make them feel different about me. I just want a quiet life with no hassle and do good things in the background if I choose to do so. On that note I don't care about what others do either so don't tell me.

:) :cheers:
keith1867

Postby stilljustbrowsing on Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:35 pm

I thought Thaksin was the biggest 'band' leader in Thailand? :lol: :twisted: :cheers:
stilljustbrowsing

Postby observer 101 on Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:32 am

Some people marry into a family.

Others, buy into it..
observer 101

Return to Domestic / cross cultural issues - Thai / Foreigner concerns