Import Food Prices remain high(er) despite significant baht

Import Food Prices remain high(er) despite significant baht

Postby observer 101 on Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:41 am

Despite the baht gaining significantly against euro and usd, import food prices havn't changed in the downward direction.

Example a 250 gram can of Illy coffee is an astounding 719 baht.
observer 101

Re: Import Food Prices remain high(er) despite significant b

Postby MTT on Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:28 pm

I agree prices are still up and/or even higher. But, I am listening on the tv to cargo shippers from Hong Kong talking about how they have raised prices to make up for the past couple of years. I am sure there are other middle men with the same idea. We are at the mercy of the benevolent dealers at every step of the process. We can complain but I can guarantee we will lose to the commodities going up in general. I came here almost 20 years ago. The exchange was 25 baht to the dollar. Chicken and Rice was 12 or 15 baht. I don't think that price is coming back either. What was coffee selling for on the market 20 years ago? I bet it is a lot higher these days.
MTT

Re: Import Food Prices remain high(er) despite significant b

Postby wilco on Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:34 pm

The future looks bleak too - when Carrefour pull out it will surely signify the end of their "cheap" cheeses and a lot of their own-brand products. Their EV olive oil was one of the best on the market regardless of price.
wilco

Return to Domestic / cross cultural issues - Thai / Foreigner concerns