Are Farang invisible to Thai?

Re: Are Farang invisible to Thai?

Postby observer 101 on Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:47 pm

In case you haven't noticed, "respect and distance are hallmarks of culture. People appear to be in a world of their own everywhere and Thais don't necessarily notice each other either.

In Japan, the staff in most any business/restaurant will address a non asian in whatever language they know, be it japanese or english. Lets face it, nobody is required to speak the non national language if they do not, unless at areas with many tourists.

There seems to be much fear/apprehension for the same in thailand. When I go to a restaurant with my japanese friend that doesn't speak a word of thai, the server will keep looking at him, despite me reading and ordering from the thai language menu.(I am Caucasian) This is bizarre, IMO

On occasion I have sat for 25 minutes at pizza hut or the likes with nobody coming to give me a menu or take my order.

Talk about fear of the unknown!!!

Perhaps it will take a higher % of westerners becoming conversational in the language for things to change
observer 101

Postby alfrdmas on Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:44 am

I have never been invisible to the Thai people, and I have never waited for anything in the ten years I have been coming here. I certainly don't understand that perspective at all. Perhaps it is because some foreigners don't speak Thai; I do and I smile, laugh and joke around with the Thai people. I get served immediately whether my wife is with me or not. I have found that the other farangs in Thailand are not overly friendly. I have never had another farang say hello to me first. Usually they look away from me or at the ground never in the eyes and never smile. I don't live in Thailand because there aren't enough opportunities for me, my wife, and our son. Also there are many things that I enjoy about the U.S. that I couldn't do here. Hunting white-tailed deer, taking my family fishing, riding the Harley, brewing beer. I like visiting, though the farangs could stand to be a bit more friendly towards each other.
alfrdmas

Postby terry on Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:56 am

by alfrdmas on Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:44 am

I have never had another farang say hello to me first. Usually they look away from me or at the ground never in the eyes and never smile..

They have something to hide. They're on the lamb.
terry

Postby taurus on Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:27 am

terry wrote:
by alfrdmas on Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:44 am

I have never had another farang say hello to me first. Usually they look away from me or at the ground never in the eyes and never smile..

They have something to hide. They're on the lamb.
Drivel Inspector Clouseau ,as it never occurred to you they may just be shy? :lol: :lol: :lol:
taurus

Postby alfrdmas on Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:51 pm

Terry's comment had me laughing out loud! Man, that was funny! The other comment that they're all shy I can only see as humorous as well. Thanks for the laugh!
alfrdmas

Postby terry on Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:21 pm

Drivel Inspector Clouseau ,as it never occurred to you they may just be shy?

The Inspector has observed the farang are not shy when seh are Thai women a round! The farang are very visible to seh Thai ladies. Yes!!!?
terry

Postby taurus on Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:29 pm

terry wrote:
Drivel Inspector Clouseau ,as it never occurred to you they may just be shy?

The Inspector has observed the farang are not shy when seh are Thai women a round! The farang are very visible to seh Thai ladies. Yes!!!?
Hey Inspector of course you do have a point , but I thought our friend Alfrdmas was referring to other farang men!, maybe his smile is sending the wrong message :lol: :lol: :lol:
taurus

Postby drake on Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:11 am

alfrdmas wrote:Also there are many things that I enjoy about the U.S. that I couldn't do here. Hunting white-tailed deer, taking my family fishing, riding the Harley, brewing beer.

Really ?
I mean, in a place where you can get practically anything for a price :?:
Okay, white-tails are a wee bit hard to find in these parts but there are other species....
:cheers:
drake

Postby raymp on Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:01 am

NO i live in Phra Pradaeng with my girlfriend. I seldom see another farang here. Thais are always wanting to talk to me.
Not a day goes by with out a complete stranger wanting to shake my hand. My gf's mother has a shop where thai's gather to drink whisky after work. I shake a dozen hand every time i go there. When we go to Big C or Lotus the staff always talk to me first.
Farnag are not invisible
raymp

Postby dutchboy on Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:25 am

I agree with most of the posters here, it's not a matter of invisibility, more of insecurity in speaking English.

I am not married with Thai, but with a Filipina. Unfortunately most Thai people think, Philippine same same Thailand, which is a big mistake, no comparison whatsoever (keep in mind I'm not objective int his matter).

When shopping, and especially having questions or inquiries, I ask the question, the shop attendent turns to my wife and starts babbling in Thai.

After a while we will point out that we don't speak Thai (in Thai) either of us. Most of the time, face of the attendent lights up and quotes to my wife, "you Philippine?, oh look same same Thai".

After that most of the time they will try their best to communicate in English to both of us. or get a colleague to help.

As for us, since we are not in Thailand to stay (will retire in the Philippines in a few years time) our Thai language skills are very limited. We are just waiting for our 2 daughters (3 & 4 years old) to grow up a little bit so they can translate for us since they are tri-lingual, going to a Thai pre-school.

When shopping or walking in the street/soi together with them, and they start to talk to people in Thai, we do get the attention of the Thai people, and they start talking in English because they are very interested why our children speak Thai, and we don't and we get into long conversations with them, so again, not a matter of invisibility, but more a matter of insecurity about using English and the perception that "Farang" are "different" so difficult to talk to.

Just my opinion.
dutchboy

Previous

Return to Domestic / cross cultural issues - Thai / Foreigner concerns