noi wrote:Too bad this is the English forum, 98% of all Thais that come to the Bangkok Post will never read this, the other 2% will shrug their shoulders and quietly say "see farrang no understand"
I've seen grown women refuse to stay in a house alone for fear of Ghosts(???)
I've seen grown men refuse helpful advice because they might "lose face" so they continue on their own path, resulting in serious injury
I've seen young men not even hold the door open for their own girlfriends (because men are superior in Thailand) and then look at me with disgust when I do because now I've made them look bad. (WTF?)
I've seen some of the most ridiculous and selfish driving skills (or lack there of) in my entire life.
Yep that's THAI-NESS for you.
1. Superstitious Nonsense
2. The Silly, immature notion of "Face"
3. False superiority complex (more like inferiority complex)
4. Absolute selfishness and ZERO common sense.
How wonderful it must be, like an ostrich in the sand, head first./quote]
Firstly, I wanted to say that this guy is very ignorant. My English is not the best as I have never been studying abroad but I do read Bangkok post. Sure that some of us scare of the ghost but I think every culture have funny believing too, not just Thailand.
Many people who were posted on here have commented on the racist ways. Based on their hatred minds or bad/selfish people that they have met.. Or even think that they're better than others that do not use English. I never judge any nationality as some of you do on here. Nor I based my understanding about one country on 100-200 people that I have met in that country or how their government behave. I believe this kind of thing is individual. You get good people in the worst area or you get absolute idiots in the high society bunch of people.
Losing face is not the things that anyone likes anyhow even in the west. But the way of dealing with the situation might be difference as Asian people do not tend to hide feelings well lol. Funny how many people think that other people are evil/stupid/selfish but forget to look at themselves to start with.
I have met some Farang that I thought they understand Thai ness very well even though they have only been to Thailand a few times and I have met people that have been here for years and still being minded , treating Thai national badly and looking down on every single opinion we give. Is this mean anything? To me, it means that I can only judge who understand Thai ness based on my understanding about Thai ness myself
Anyway, interesting posts. Thank you for sharing your views about how you think about Thailand. Altho i believe that it doesn't mean that Thai people can only be bad and stupid as a whole. There are people like me that want to learn the good things from the west and ignore the bad influence too. Altho it took me almost a year to find this topic but there is so much to read on the internet nowadays. Cheers.
Nothing to do with Thainess but your post reminded me of an example of superstition I recently observed: I saw a woman cut down a blooming jack fruit tree because a monk told her it was unlucky to have it growing in front of her house. I'm sure there are examples from all around the world but I just shook my head at this one.
- Posts: 28
- Joined: Thu Jan 01, 1970 7:00 am
Good writing and hope to see more of you here.
- Posts: 190
- Joined: Thu Jan 01, 1970 7:00 am
- Posts: 1
- Joined: Fri May 13, 2011 10:50 pm
BUT most Thais do not understand Farangs. All most of them see is a walking ATM machine.
But the biggest difference is most farangs treat women as their equal NOT the same as Thailand where a woman is considered inferior.
Also if a Farang wants money he will go and work for it not look for a lazy option.
- Posts: 9
- Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:05 am
Farang cannot know Thai-ness, is a very true statement
I was born and lived in England for the first twenty years of my life and never worked out Brit-ness
I immigrated to Australia, where I have lived for most of the past forty odd years and am still not sure what Aussie-ness is
I have lived in America and have definitely never understood USA-ness
Then in more resent times I have lived six months for each of the past few years in rural Thailand and will never pretend I understand Thai-ness
Also I have been fortunate enough the travel many countries of the world and lived we local people,
The combination of the above, has given me a-ness I can easily live with, it’s called WORLDLY-NESS.
And so worldly-ness to me, means mutual respect to all Nesses and you’ll have a happy life.
- Posts: 2
- Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:51 pm
- Posts: 1
- Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:13 am
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests