Farang cannot know Thai-ness

Re: Farang cannot know Thai-ness

Postby wangsuda on Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:52 pm

I've asked many Thais (of all social strata) what "Thai-ness" is, and none of them can answer me. they simply bandy about a term that has no meaning.
wangsuda

Postby tohwae on Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:53 pm

I think Farangs can know Thainess if they try to live in Thailand for a long time. Try to learn about Thai people's ways of life deeply and clearly.
tohwae

Postby tohwae on Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:55 pm

I think Farangs can know Thainess if they live in Thailand for years.
tohwae

Postby surinfarm on Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:49 pm

tohwae wrote:I think Farangs can know Thainess if they live in Thailand for years.

Possible - or not.
Depends on the individual.
Frankly, it's the rare long-time Farang resident that naturally absorbs things Thai. A more common model is the Farang that refuses to accept this and that amongst their cultural hosts, developing an inner-angst and hostility that succumbs to everything negative. Living out their lives in pretense and frustration.
surinfarm

Postby chemistusa on Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:26 am

Well you are so negative about everything you see or go around Thailand. I saw many american woman work, so some man so lazy in USA. They are looking for sugar mama. Woman take care them, so they are being lazy. Every country have problem with lazy people or not being polite. I saw man so lazy to get out their chair and watch TV all day. I am Thai and I am chemist in USA. I was accounting in Thailand, so I do not like lazy people. I do not care where they come from. I knew Thais will take care their parent and send money home to support love one. Do you care for your parent or let them be on welfare system. Thais is simple good heart and maybe you are hang out some go go bar.
EODGhost wrote:Too bad this is the English forum, 98% of all Thais that come to the Bangkok Post will never read this, the other 2% will shrug their shoulders and quietly say "see farrang no understand"

I've seen grown women refuse to stay in a house alone for fear of Ghosts(???)
I've seen grown men refuse helpful advice because they might "lose face" so they continue on their own path, resulting in serious injury
I've seen young men not even hold the door open for their own girlfriends (because men are superior in Thailand) and then look at me with disgust when I do because now I've made them look bad. (WTF?)
I've seen some of the most ridiculous and selfish driving skills (or lack there of) in my entire life.

Yep that's THAI-NESS for you.
1. Superstitious Nonsense
2. The Silly, immature notion of "Face"
3. False superiority complex (more like inferiority complex)
4. Absolute selfishness and ZERO common sense.

How wonderful it must be, like an ostrich in the sand, head first.
chemistusa

Postby chemistusa on Tue Jul 12, 2011 6:47 am

Hee... some Farang is control man. It is depend on person who will treat woman nice. I do not think all farangs treat woman as equal or being so wonderful. It is depend how much they love the person. Some Thai man is wonderful and some might not so good. My dad is wonderful man and love us. Are sure if a Farang want meoney he will go and work for it not look for a lazy option. Here in USA are many lazy and depend on welfare. They never want to look for work and being on street, used durg. Well every country have proplem and learn being positive where you live, so we will respect you. I was traveling to spain, USA, Canada, Italy, Frence, Danmark, South Korea, Belgium and I am Thai.
johncat1 wrote:I think most Farangs understand Thai-ness
BUT most Thais do not understand Farangs. All most of them see is a walking ATM machine.

But the biggest difference is most farangs treat women as their equal NOT the same as Thailand where a woman is considered inferior.
Also if a Farang wants money he will go and work for it not look for a lazy option.
chemistusa

Postby Ted on Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:33 am

The comment that Farangs do not understand Thai-ness is a misnomer. Having been a visitor here for 15 years, including living here with my Thai wife and children for 5 years, I think I understand it perfectly. Here are some examples.

One price for Farangs, different one for Thais regardless of income. Example at same dentist 400 baht for Thai to have teeth cleaned, 800 baht for Farang.

No thought for basic manners. Never see a Thai say please or thankyou when being served. Interrupt when at bank or doing other business and try to push in at side of queues or ignore them.

No etiquette when playing golf. Examples up to six in group (rest of world four), never call up on par threes or allow two players to play though and treat caddies as second class citizens.

Little consideration shown to other road users, with tail gating, speeding, no indication when turning or changing lanes, driving on wrong side of road, going though red lights etc etc

Putting up with the corruption and accepting it as way of life.

Lack of accountability or policing. Who do you go to if you have a problam, even worse if you are a Farang.

Thinking all Farangs are rich and so easy game for rip offs. Do they do the same to wealthy Thais?

Assuming no Farangs can speak or understand Thai, so say what they want without any thought. I can a little and my children (born overseas) speak thai fluently.

When in premisses with no smoking allowed, they do anyway. Example when playing snooker and asking three Thais to stop and refrain from blowiung smoke everywhere, the owner rings the police and two arrive and commence to play on table along side us. Then three more arrive. This is in the day time and we had not been drinking.

There are many other examples of Thai-ness, so please do not insult all Farangs by stating we do not understand it.

Hopefully it is not asking to much for Thais to show some respect to Farangs as the majority do to you.

The egos of the many Thais with money or positions of authority is disapointing to say the least.

The better class of people in my experiences here are the ones with the least.

It would be better if the others egos matched their size.
Ted

Postby surinfarm on Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:20 pm

I believe Farang will receive the much cherish respect when, they in return, extend the same courtesy with any constitancy.
Superlatives and comparatives need not apply, as they have no bearing on anything.
Wiser, would be to throw the predictable stereotypes, myths, and stigmas out the window.
surinfarm

Postby drake on Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:11 pm

Ted wrote:The comment that Farangs do not understand Thai-ness is a misnomer. Having been a visitor here for 15 years, including living here with my Thai wife and children for 5 years, I think I understand it perfectly. Here are some examples......
:lol:
You'll LOVE Mexico.
:cheers:
drake

Postby surinfarm on Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:54 pm

Understand Thainess under the guise of Western translation and perspective.
surinfarm

PreviousNext

Return to Living in Thailand - adjusting + settling in