Do you speak English Khun Noy?

Re: Do you speak English Khun Noy?

Postby manfarang on Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:14 pm

pearlvintage wrote:Sorry for E-san women, most of them have wrong perception about marrying foreign guy would make them rich. It must be true in some cases, but I think it's wrong if they thought they will have a better life in foreign country. it's nonsense really, I don't respect those women at all; therefore, I agree that people should have English test before they could get any kind of visa, or stay in those countries. BOO!!!!!

mr or ms pearvinatage keep the discussion clearly it's not about isan women want to get rich by marrying a farang but about the need to speak english or whatever BOO to you...!! pay attention to what to@beau58 said..!!!
manfarang

Postby yingthai on Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:33 am

Michael Bukit wrote:
modsquad wrote:Comment from Khun Pampan

Well, this regulation is both fair and unfair. I am one of the Thai women who is about to marry a German guy. The unfair point for me is that, I graudated with bachelor degree from the USA and double master degrees from the Netherlands and I still have to pass a German test before getting marry.

Yes, I am non-EU citizen, but this regulation doesn't apply to those who are from developed countries such as Japan and Korea. Do they speak English or German better than me? I don't think so. That is why I said it is not fair.

However, if you look at the integration point, it is good for Thai women to be able to go outside interacting with the others, they can take part time job or classes.

Khun Pampan,

Do you know that foreigners man marry to Japanese and Korean lady are allowed to live with his wife in Japan and Korea and need not have to report to the immigration every 90 days. Beside they are allowed to work, to purchase houses, need not have to report to the immigration every 90 days, can convert their driving licence to local licence and many more, which Thai government would never allow foreigner man who married Thai lady to do in Thailand. Check it out yourself.

To Michael,

I agree with you totally. I am Thai and my husband is foreigner. It's ridiculous law and so unfair. I live in Europe. It's so easy to obtain residency card here. Even the poorest country in EU has better immigration law. I have plan to go back to settle in Thailand, but after reading the rules and regulations, I am just not sure if we can make it. I do hope there will be some changes.

from Yingthai
yingthai

Postby johngant on Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:52 pm

I am an Englishman, married to an Issan Thai lady who is twenty years younger than me. We hqave been happily married for thirteen years, and have lived in Thailand for the last ten of these. We have recently decided to move and settle in UK, and my wife was required to pass an English test as a requirement for her settlement visa (this does not apply to visitors, only those who wish to settle or work in UK). I agree that it is grossly unfair, as 250 million EU people can go to UK without any requirement to speak English, but it is the Law of UK.

We are moving to UK because of the unfair Laws of Thailand. I have bought my wife a house in Thailnad, and seen that her parents are secure in their old age. I have bought a farm on which we employ local people. I have paid for her son through school and University. I contribute to the Wat, boy scouts, local schools etc. We have a car. None of this belongs to me (not even shared) as I am not allowed by Law to own anything in Thailand. I have to report to the local Immigration office every ninety days, and re-apply for a visa every year. It might not be granted, as it is at the whim of the immigration officer. I have to prove that I have an income of more than 40,000 baht transferred to Thailand every month. I have no say in this or anything else that may be demanded of me. Finally we have decided that UK is a freer place to be.

Anyone thinking of coming to live in Thailand should seriously think again. Once it was a nice place to be.
johngant

Postby Voice on Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:58 am

Back in the 60s and 70s any girls live outside EEC countries could be an au pair here in England. But since they have formed a bigger European union the immigration law has change forever. Nowadays you won’t see a girl from Thailand or China or none EU working as an au pair in the English households. The reason that anyone outside EU has to go through these entire tests is because they don’t want foreigners from outside EU to enter their country. Even though it is not as bad as Thailand is when it comes to controlling immigration. Thailand has different idea about having foreigners in their country. First of all it has to do with how the establishment see whether or not foreigners can be a treated to them. While many other countries are allow you to the right to buy or own Thai establishment see this as a big treated to them. Since much of the foreign currencies are much stronger than Thai currency. It would have been much easy for foreigners to afford to buy up all the properties in Thailand which would have left many Thai out of the properties market. If Thailand own by foreigners Thailand won’t be belong to Thailand anymore. Only if and when they see no treats, I am sure things could be really different in Thailand.
But whatever reason behind these laws or rules or whether it’s in England or Thailand. I think people who wish to live in another country should get themselves ready for a life and experience of integration with the country they will call it home. So I think it right that they should learn the language and customs so they can be ready to integrate well. Without language and integration life could become very difficult indeed. Knowing the language could get you a job, making friends and it will give you a chance to learn about another people culture too.
Voice

Postby NorDevil on Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:22 am

[quote="modsquad"]Comment from Khun Pampan

Well, this regulation is both fair and unfair. I am one of the Thai women who is about to marry a German guy. The unfair point for me is that, I graudated with bachelor degree from the USA and double master degrees from the Netherlands and I still have to pass a German test before getting marry.

First I will say that you do not need to take a language test to get married but you do need to take the test to move and live in a european country.I am sorry but I do get a little angry reading that you find this unfair.Thailand has a stricter law than the one discussed here.If a foreigner wants to get a so called " Yellow Book " he or she must pass several tests alot more difficult.If a law affects a Thai it is unfair but if it is a Thai law maiking life difficult for a person living in Thailand then everything is ok.Hate double standards.
NorDevil

Postby rasputin on Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:54 pm

This thread, like all threads in this forum, is deeply depressive. I had something in my mind, but I forgot it, so depressed can one get when reading these posts...
rasputin

Postby overhaul38 on Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:49 am

Kuhn Noy should apply for Thai citizenship or residency if she want to experience bureaucracy at it finest.
overhaul38

Postby sevenskies on Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:21 am

Khun Noy can go to court and sue the British ot thr German government for such regulation. These regulations are simply a shameful "discrimination"
sevenskies

Postby tony0827 on Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:34 am

modsquad wrote:Comment from Khun Pampan

Yes, I am non-EU citizen, but this regulation doesn't apply to those who are from developed countries such as Japan and Korea. Do they speak English or German better than me? I don't think so. That is why I said it is not fair.

However, if you look at the integration point, it is good for Thai women to be able to go outside interacting with the others, they can take part time job or classes.

No different than most countries, in fact easier than Thailand. In Thailand in order to get a Permanent Residence Status even when married to a Thai you not only must command a basic knowledge of the language but the culture and religion as well. You must also have been in the country for at least three years and if married to a Thai earn at least 30,000 per month. Now talk about unfair when the average pay for most Thai's is 100 baht per day or under the new rules they will be raising minimum salaries for college graduates to 15,000 baht per month yet we must earn 30,000, unfair ? hmmm guess you really got no reason to complain do you?
tony0827

Postby jerrelli on Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:03 pm

eff_ewe wrote:I too encourage Miss Pampan to investigate how "fair" foreign men are treated by Thailand when they marry a Thai lady. You will then understand what unfair really is.

Regards.

Well said... certainly as an American coming here to marry a Thai lady to help support not only her but also her extensive extended family, as well as the Kingdom of Thailand in general, I feel the demands are a little harsh. To learn the language of the country you immigrate, or as in my case expatriate to, is simply the polite thing to do and should be expected of anyone moving to any country in my humble opinion. I am American and comparitively I find Thai much more complex than English is for speech for reading and certainly for writing as well. I never have had much luck with foreign (to me) languages anyway but I hope to work as an English teacher in Thailand and I will try to have some reasonable exchange with the students so they will assist me as I assist them and we can work together in duality to educate eachother to new things. I will give learning the complexities of the Thai language my full focus and attention as it is simply the correct thing to do to show proper respect for what I will be considering my homeland, even if, to my new homeland, I am nothing but a second class farang.
jerrelli

PreviousNext

Return to Thai news stories