Farang cannot know Thai-ness

Re: Farang cannot know Thai-ness

Postby surinfarm on Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:48 pm

The old Thai expressive metaphor of thinking too much is definitely defined for Farang angst.

As is the old Chinese proverb: those who know do not speak, those who speak do not know.
surinfarm

Postby philhal2 on Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:54 am

I am not sure I need to know Thainess , if it encompasses everyday behaviour in major tourist areas such as robbery , mafia like extortion by Thai gangs ,bashings , theft , cheating ,///// , double pricing , unlicenced drivers and children on motorbikes , a complete disregard for honesty in dealings with foriegners and all the comments that are posted criticising FARANGS and breaching all the FORUM RULES , that are never removed by admins , ? I live with Thais who dont practice any of this rubbish , they are normal PEOPLE , they are rural people who work hard in the fields and dont pretend to be educated , superior Thais who can get a degree without ever passing a subject . They are willing to learn things that benefit their lifestyle and ease the work load . They practice the ethics of their religion and care for all living things , they need money but they dont kill , lie , cheat and steal to get it .These are the real Thais , the ones who do have a culture , NEVER MISTAKE THEM FOR THE LIKES OF PHUKET , RAYONG , CHIANG MAI , PATTAYA AND MANY OTHER SO CALLED THAIS AND HI SO , for these have no culture and no morals and dont deserve to be called Thai .
I guess this post will also be removed very quickly as per previous posts . Yet all I do is repeat what is publicised daily by the tv and the newspapers !!!
philhal2

Postby davehowden on Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:10 pm

Why does the Farang want to see everything in his own image, if it does not match up then it is "just Thai".

Where I live the people are honest, friendly, hardworking and seem happy with their lot, sure they would like more of the cake, who wouldn’t?

Thais are a proud people, they have never been colonialised by the Europeans, their politics is no more corrupt than most of the so called civilised world, they do not go around the world killing and maiming in the interests of oil or "making life better for people" like America and Europe do.

The problems in the likes of Pattaya, Phuket etc, are a product of Farang culture (sex, drugs, money) which offers an easy life for those who would otherwise walk behind the plough or the buffalo.

As for understanding "Thainess" what's the problem, they are different from us Farangs, different values and culture, leave them alone, they will be changed for the worse soon enough and we will morn their passing.
davehowden

Postby forain on Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:08 am

These forums might be interesting, but it's the same disingenuous people trying to convince themselves that they are intelligent who you find here. Granted, there are a couple of folk here who seem sane. They don't have flames leaping from their heads.
forain

Re: Farang cannot know!

Postby KhunJoseph on Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:20 am

I've made up my mind to understand Thais; right after I get women figured out.
KhunJoseph

Postby pamchu on Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:38 pm

@Gohmer- When the Thais ask for help, it means give me all the money you have and more. We don't need advice, opinions or criticism; they're inedible. We need only tangible help.
Whenever my brothers ask to 'consult' me, the bulb that lit up in my head is only 'how much this time?' Clear?
pamchu

Postby gadabout on Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:45 am

KhunJoseph wrote:I plan to understand the Thais; right after I get done with figuring out women.
money money money

Well, sorry to hear that you'll never get around to understanding Thais ... :cheers:
gadabout

Postby lunghen on Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:12 pm

Does any of you speak, write and read Thai?

This is the premise in all countries to be part of it. The Lifestyle and the view to the world is different in Thailand. If you want to know more learn the Language.
This will not change the thinking of Thai people that is often full of prejudices against Foreigners. But we are part of it. Too many Thais experience every day that farangs are not able to communicate in Thai.

Nobody can work in Germany unless he has passed a language exam before. We should not be arrogant. And I can tell you, that I have good Thai friends, that never ever asked me for money. It also depends to the level of education that someone has. Both the foreigner and the thai.

I am quite astonished. My post had been deleted. I read the rules and I found out that on the page of Bangkok Post we cannot write in Thai. I am sorry for that. But even when we only write in English this is no guarantee to avoid misunderstandings.
I just wrote my posting bilingual. If this cannot be accepted I think about quiting the forum.
lunghen

Postby bantam on Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:41 pm

In the midst of all the opinion is a veritable soup of truth, misconception, bias, etc. After 5 years of living in Thailand I very early gave up any attempt to "understand" most things that confounded my personal sense of logic or social conforms. Instead I quietly do my things my way where and when it does not conflict.In many cases that also confounds and amuses Thais who observe it. Currently we all enjoy a situation where there is a mutual respect for the differences in approach or method.Pehaps in that alone we have all learned a little.
bantam

Postby zenredbkk on Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:12 am

For me it has never been a question of NOT knowing Thainess
Sure i observe every single detail and know

I feel that Most of the motives are because of - Peer pressure, expectations, traditional politeness, and not having real individuality or critical judgement.They must conform with the rules and what is expected of them. They must never deviate from the Thainess - or risk the loss of face which is what they fear more than anything.

Thais are caught in a very clever loop - they cannot deviate from Thainess because to do so means they lose face - So they must continue to follow the rules.
zenredbkk

PreviousNext

Return to Living in Thailand - adjusting + settling in