Double pricing system in Thailand

Re: Double pricing system in Thailand

Postby pakchong on Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:11 pm

Double pricing actually goes against the constitution which states that there is no discrimination between race and creed. I have a car and motorbike liscence so I give one to my visiting friend which they show at the gate. Nobody ever checks the photo. Interesting that the people at Sukhothai do not accept driving liscences for lower prices so the rules are not consistent.
pakchong

Postby pquinlan on Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:34 pm

Anyone who really knows Thailand has surely spotted the flaw in the basic premise of this Forum topic: Double pricing SYSTEM in Thailand. What system? There isn't a systematic bone on the whole Thai body! 5555555555
pquinlan

Postby edhardly on Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:37 pm

I've always been of two minds on this: on the hand, the system seems inherently unfair. On the other hand, generally the added charge is quite small. That being the case, it's never really upset me that much.

Hope this helps.
edhardly

Postby surinfarm on Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:58 pm

pquinlan wrote:Anyone who really knows Thailand....[sic]There isn't a systematic bone on the whole Thai body!

Of course, for those whom really know and understand Thailand. :roll: :roll:
surinfarm

Postby petesie on Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:46 pm

As a visiting Farang I fully understand that the usual policy for admittance to various National attractions is set at 2 tiers with the lower being for the National themselves, accepted and no argument from this old goat (non pensionable) providing the generic perhaps optimistic understanding that this will be remitted for the upkeep of the attraction.

Recently this "entrance" figure seems to be increasing to the point where I actually consider whether or not the attraction is worth it, in 24 years visiting LoS this is a new found consideration and experience.

An additional annoyance is the expectation that I will pay the Farang rate for my Thai partner; you are right, I don't like it though I will go home at the end of my holiday while the only sniffing actually undertaken is by the Thai daughters.

The Thais have similar cause for complaint with their import tariffs which makes the majority of cars etc beyond reach, in some cases 4 times the European rate.

Mai pen rai....
petesie

Postby 3rivers on Thu Sep 15, 2011 1:26 pm

This dumb subject is still being discussed? With the US dollar at a preposterous 31 per baht, and the Euro at 41? Most of us white people have sources of funds in overvalued currencies, so how can we complain? Anyone who has stepped off an airplane in Thailand knows that the purchasing power of Euros and dollars in Thailand is completely out of whack. And with 5.6 trillion baht in international reserves, and public sectior debt of "only" 40%, it's the Thai baht should not only retrace to it's normal valuation of around 25 to the dollar, it should be in the low teens. When the PROC fully opens its capital accounts in 2015, get ready for a Big Surprise. At that time we can switch to one fee. :cheers:
3rivers

Postby Ian Wensor on Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:07 pm

Thais don't realise that greed, an inherrent part of their life style, is abhorrent and unacceptable to visitors and double pricing in particular is seen it as a sign of disrespect, resentment towards them and indicates the extent that corruption has permeated throughout the kingdom :x :shock: ... Far better Thais rid themselves of this and other devious ways of ripping guests off and greet them with open arms :cheers: :) ... RATHER THAN WAVE OPEN PALMS :twisted: :twisted:
Ian Wensor

Postby farang_jai on Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:54 pm

Although I am a foreigner, I had lived in Thailand for several years. I had a valid work visa, paid taxes, learned Thai language, history, culture, cuisine, traditional massage at Wat Pho, etc. The intention was to become as close to Thai-ness as possible. It got to the point where many Thai were asking questions like "Is your mother Thai?" figuring someone with such knowledge is likely luk-kreung. It was quite a compliment.

When asked to pay the higher price, I would explain in Thai that I am a resident, pay taxes, have a Thai wife. Every time the attendant would allow me to pay Thai price. So it seems as though this two tier pricing is largely intended for those who are visiting, not all foreigners per se. If one is willing to become more Thai, then one is treated as such.
farang_jai

Postby Silaworld on Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:32 am

As it seems to be possible for some foreigners to pay Thai prices, I wonder what the official policy of Thai government would be. Does anybody know and by this I mean not from hearsaying?
Personally I never visit those places, so I really do not know ... but as most of us Farang, living here (longtime or not), I hate to be ripped off and this, I make very clear to those who would try or even think to try.
Furthermore, I agree with everybody who thinks like SIBLEY on this matter. Ex-pats should be loyal to each other and not just give in to any Thai scammer (official or not) who wants to steal our money.
Silaworld

Postby greyt on Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:14 pm

gudday,
As a regular visitor i have no problem with the 2 price system in the following circumstances;
it is up front and honest, and it is for government funded venues like national parks.
My annoyance is with the deceitful practice of tourist venues, tour guides or hotels charging whatever they can get away with rather than an honest set price for all. As far as markets are concerned, the best price is what you are willing to pay, whoever you are or whatever country you are from.
greyt

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic / cross cultural issues - Thai / Foreigner concerns