Double pricing system in Thailand

Re: Double pricing system in Thailand

Postby huck on Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:33 pm

It is outraguos.
I first experienced it in Inida when visiting the Tag Mahal They were asking foreigners for $20 and Indians for
10 cents. I thought $20 was outragous. But the difference was just unacceptable. I asked them " why" and they told me
Indians had less money than foreigners. I told them this wasn t true that some of the wealthiest people in the world
are from India and that I was a poor foreigner who would have to save up for a week to go to the Tag Mahal.

Here in Thailand I went to a park and it said UNESCO had funded the park. That means my tax dollars had funded this Thai park but they were still asking foreigners to pay double the price. Unexceptable. I told my girl friend " no way I was going
along with this discrimination" Because in the end that is the only way you can interpret it.

Those foreigners that do not object to this don t have a clue. If this happened in the west there would be a major objection
and law suits.
huck

Postby marlin on Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:57 pm

Not everything true here.....I'm living in Thailand, my wife is Thai, I speak Thai, but my Thai driver licence doesn't get me anywhere anymore, always have to pay farang prices. And yes, compared to prices in other countries its still cheap... 10 Euros into Kho Yai is cheap? Then, the guy working in a European park gets 3000 Euros a month, the one in Khao Yai maybe 250 (10000BHT), but admittance to most National Parks in Europe is free anyway, also vor Thai people. I would like to know if for example a Singaporian, who is not classified as a farang, but at least as wealthy as a European or American if not even more, has to pay farang or thai prices? Agree with many others here, just stay away from it, leave it to the Thais, there are other places which are free.
marlin

Postby pamchu on Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:11 pm

I absolutely agree with the complaint of 'double standard' on pricing. Maybe they view tourists as heavy-pockets that need help to empty.
I took my American class-mate to Vimanmek Residence lately, a Bht100 entry-fee for each of us, Thai or Foreigner alike. I didn't mind that hefty fee, only that it could have been used more effectively in upkeeping the place. Dust everywhere you lay your finger on, the female-watcher peeling her mango and threw the skin out the window, right before my eyes. Yes, it's boring job sitting there all day everyday,but she could have put the peeled skin back into the plastic bag for disposal later.
Many years ago I walked through the ArunAmarin soi to reach the Royal Barge Pier on Chao Praya River front. Stinky water and floating garbage next to the royal barges really saddened me. Then entry-fee was Bht10 for Thais and Bht20 for foreigners,which I felt funny. If foreigners are so dedicated to walk through the stinky soi, one should admire their interest and invite them in for free. Funny part is the sign: Taking Photo-Bht100. I really couldn't comprehend that mentality.
So I called up my Navy friend and complained about the floating garbage. Hopefully that's been taken care off.
pamchu

Postby flippogirl on Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:02 pm

Marlin,

From experience I can tell you that the "double pricing" doesn't only apply to "white" foreigners (or black for that matter).
For instance Filipinos get the same treatment in terms of pricing as Europeans/Americans.
The only way not to is keep your mouth shut, since Thai people have the misconception that Philippine people look like Thai, and as long as you don't speak they will believe that.
flippogirl

Postby rswhite on Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:15 pm

As a visitor from America I do not mind paying more to enter the different Thai National Parks and other places. As a Thai resident, you should pay less as your taxes are helping pay part of the upkeep of these national treasures. As a visitor who has family and friends who are Thai residents I do not feel bad paying more when we go together. It really is not that much extra for me, but I appreciate that it is being used to maintain and preserve these places for future generations to learn from and enjoy.​ํ You are fortunate to have such beautiful old temples and The Grand Palace with all its history going back so many years, In the U S we can only go back several hundred years and we do not have as much to show for it. I will be back in Thailand in November and look forward to seeing as much of your country as I can.
rswhite

Postby clouseau on Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:06 am

Double Pricing!

Its different when one is the enthic minority, I'm happy being a farang, and if they want to ask me for a farang price, I just walk away... stupid is as stupid does.

Living in Bangkok but away from the centre and tourist haunts, it still happens on the odd occasion, some chancers will always try, if showing the Thai driving licence and a polite chat fails to show them of their ignorance, I just call the better half (just to be bloody minded and you have a duty to educate as well).... Now we know what Thai women are like when upset don't we?

However I have local business interests as well, and publicly show a Thai and Farang price.... the Thai price is higher! Still 40% of my business is from Thai's, who mostly see the farce for what it is, and the funny side of it. :lol:

The farang network in smaller villages works very smoothly as well, regular updates are posted on chancers!
clouseau

Postby tini on Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:32 am

Some years ago, the king expressed the wish that all people, foreigners and Thais alike, be charged the same price for national parks etc. The forestry department (which is in charge of the parks and their pricing) respected his wish for a few months, then went back to ripping off foreigners. They are also the ones ultimately responsible for the current floods in Bangkok: by looking the other way while all the illegal logging goes on up north.
The tax explanation is ridiculous; Thais who visit parks and museums in Europe and other civilized countries don't pay tax there either, and still pay the regular prices.
No, face it: it's just a way of cheating foreigners and lining the pockets of the forestry department's bosses.....
tini

Postby syd on Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:50 pm

Not much different in the USA. I am a resident of Texas but work in California. I pay about 5 times more for a fishing license. If I went to college here it would be a much higher tuition rate. State parks have a higher entry fee for a non-resident as well.

In Thailand I pay the 50 baht to enter Wat Arun with my head held high, because I can afford it. I pay the "outrageous" entry fees to Burma and Laos as well while my Thai friend enters at a fraction of what I pay.

Ivisited Khao Yai National Park with 3 Thai freinds who all paid the Thai rate. The ranger looked at me and said in Thai; "Do you speak Thai?" My reply was "I can speak a little Thai " to which everyone laughed. I got in at the Thai rate by just knowing that little bit.

Bottom line is if you want to pay the local rate, take the time to learn the language and be friendly. You might be surprised that it works.
syd

Postby lexybam on Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:02 pm

This is common in all Asian continents I think. May be we can say that it is in their bloods and can not be changed. Last two years I was here on holiday, I went to the shop to buy a pant, what i discovered was that the money to buy the pants was double higher than what my neighbor bought his. I wondered,later I got to know that it is a kind of separation thing. They know how and why they do it. It isn't that they are extorting you but their natures.
lexybam

Postby golan on Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:22 am

I recently traveled in Thailand for two weeks, mostly on a tour, and was not at all aware of any double pricing. When we went on our own to a restaurant, marketplace or to get a massage, we paid the price listed, with the usual negotiation in a marketplace. I saw no evidence of any double pricing in any town or city. If this actually exists, it's probably exaggerated for media impact.
golan

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic / cross cultural issues - Thai / Foreigner concerns