Dowery

Dowery

Postby Bill on Wed May 26, 2004 5:12 pm

Hello and thanks to all that responded to my last questions. Those of you who have been following my last questions thanks. I am set to marry in Nov or Dec and I talked to her family. My dowery is set at 2 milllion bath and I already gave a 200,000 bath strater to show that I was interested. What do you think of this my friends. Before I make a mistake.
HELP<<
Bill

RE: Dowery

Postby Rooster on Thu May 27, 2004 11:37 pm

Who is she? Is she came from a rich family with elite status? Dowery of B2 million is a lot of money for most middle and low class Thai families. Does she has college education and degree(s)?
Rooster

RE: RE: Dowery

Postby Zemran on Sun May 30, 2004 11:24 am

Even with a Phd I cannot see that this is a reasonable situation. If she is from an aristocratic family then all this would have been explained to him in advance. I think this is just another example of someone being seen as a cash cow.
Zemran

Postby Adam on Tue Jun 01, 2004 3:14 am

It must be mink lined and feel like a box of little puppydogs nibbling on you.
Adam

Postby don on Tue Jun 01, 2004 7:47 am

i am totally lost about this dowery system and doing my best to understand it, i get a little bit of it but my main question is how is the dowery amount set?i have a real sweet thai lady and talaking to her sister she stats a 499,999 bath amount. why noy jus an even 500.000. i am confused about this. are these figures cut in stone? set by parents since birth?is this something that is negotiable. i need some help here about this whole dowery system. i am just a simple man blue collar so to speak and live from check to check. are thai women only for the wealthy?well what ever the amount she is definately worth more than any amount set. i just need some help understanding all of this
don

Postby Rooster on Wed Jun 02, 2004 3:12 am

You should read posting by PoorButHappyMan in this section or in the Prostitution section about the level of dowery. I can not help you if you do not post the information about your Thai girl. Rule of thumb, there is usually no large amount of dowery offered if the girl has been married and with children. However, it is also nice to offer her family with somethings, especially, when they are poor and depending on her for financial support. I would think that it always nice to build a home for her parents if they are poor and without a home or good home. It usually does not cost more than $15,000 to $20,000 to build a nice 2 to 3 bedrooms house in the rural area. Well, you and your new family would always have a place to stay when you come to visit them in Thailand. Rural Thai house is basic and simple, usually built from brick and concrete since woods are very expensive with a foundation or on concrete poles, brick walls, ceramic roof, mosquito roofed windows, composited doors, some fans and refrigerator.
Rooster

Postby AC on Wed Jun 02, 2004 12:41 pm

Have you lost your mind or is this just a way to make us laugh? B2mil, is so far over the top, I can only think that you must be in your sixties and she a child at best under 18yrs of age. If this is the case then you are a fool anyway so what's B2MIL
AC

Postby don on Mon Jun 07, 2004 9:26 am

i dont see poor but happy man in any sction
maybe thai lady isnt meant for those less fortunate and making ends meet from pay check to pay check, the woman has never been married,never been out with a man period. are dowery set for single never married virgin ladies only?i am still tring to understand all of this dowery system i understand the honor of the parents, i dont know how is it set different amountys i have seent set and how is this based?what makes one ladies dowery set at 2 million while another is 500,000 what determins the set amount
don

Postby Rooster on Mon Jun 07, 2004 4:16 pm

He is in this section and most in the prostitution section. Dowery is setted according to socio-status of her family, family's wealth, her educational level, and her virginity. Some of your statement is collect about Thai men are able to afford to marry some of these women. As I mentioned before that these women are for "Export Only."
Rooster

Postby Zemran on Mon Jun 07, 2004 7:31 pm

I think that the dowery is one of those things that is, therefore it is. I have tried to find a real explaination and found two.

Most old people tell me that a girl is supposed to be a virgin when she marries. If she is not then no one will want to marry her. Therefore the husband pays a deposit for her future when he marries her and she will be able to use this to provide for her future should the husband do the dirty or die.

Most young people tell me that it is to repay the family for the cost of raising the girl.

I think the reason has evolved to suit the fact that virgins are getting as rare here as they are in the rest of the world. If it is to repay the family then why is there not a dowry for the man? It does not make sense. If it is for the virgin then no girl wants to admit to the truth and therefore wants the man to pay highly to say that he is sure that she is intact. My wife claims that it is to repay the cost of education... for which she has a student loan. Which is why I always advocate making the family use the dowry to pay off the student loan so that everyone ends up happy. I am happy because it goes to pay for her education (a cost that we would have to face) and the family are happy because the money is on the table.

How much does it take to raise a girl in Thailand ??? Not 2 million Baht. How many Thai men do you think could afford to pay 2 million Baht? Not many. I think that 100,000 is more normal but the girl wants to show off by having as much as possible on the table. Some will say what they think a good cash cow can afford, others will be reasonable. If you act like a good cash cow it will be harder to put on the brakes latter no matter what your bank manager says. If the family are not prepared to be reasonable then I think one should consider if this is a good situation to go into...
Zemran

Next

Return to Getting married and divorced in Thailand - what's required