Is Farang an f word?

Re: Is Farang an f word?

Postby DocWilliam on Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:35 pm

...and for others of us, it is a non-issue. I regard every human being as having original spiritual origin, regardless of what genetic structure, male/female, asian/south american/african/etc. one is incarnated into. Consequently, my proof of this is that I do not hear farang judgmentally, so I don't notice it consciously, and so it is a non-issue. Hahahaha....my challenge is driving in traffic, wanting to honk horn, shout anguish, fearful insults at aggressive drivers, etc. Then, I catch myself and command my ego to cool it! I guess we all have our zones of challenge. I am enjoying this farang discussion...but lightly.

Anyone want to open the driving-in-traffic experience? I'll be watching for it.....
DocWilliam

Postby Morph68 on Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:55 pm

As someone who is a 100% English Caucasian, I had absolutely no problem when living and working in Guangdong Province being referred to as a 'Gweilo' and have exactly the same attitude to my being referred to as 'Farang' in Thailand. I get much more upset by being referred to as a 'European'.

I get annoyed when those of us from the west attempt to impose our values and attitudes on other cultures, without looking at the historical and cultural context of the terms being used. Should a Cantonese person had referred to me as "Sei Gweilo" my attitude would have been very different, because that would have had a racist connotation rather than an a somewhat obvious descriptive statement on my ethnic origin.

So, I think some of us need to 'lighten up' a little bit and not always carry our western 'hang ups' around with us, looking for the slightest sign of perceived insult to complain about.
Morph68

Postby agogohome on Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:09 pm

sulasno wrote:1/2 Thai + 1/2 British is not Farang :lol: :lol: :lol:

it's something else Image

Nope! Still farang. My two boys get it all day long, not that it matters. No offence is intended anyway - It's all part of the 'Thainess' culture, that Westerners (like those posting above) cannot comprehend, despite saying they've lived here for years. LOL
agogohome

Postby Sangjack on Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:38 am

My granddaughter is Thai+ Mexican+ White (American-Anglo) what do you suppose to call her then? As far as she concern she call herself an American. I agree with her.
Sangjack

Postby Whatever on Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:37 pm

I think the main point and what a lot of you are missing is the fact that the word 'farang' in and of itself isn't bad in any way, it's just a word after all. It's the fact that people feel the need to categorize others who look different and be so vocal and open about it. I live in China, and the word "Laowai" or "Waiguoren" is their equivalent. Any variation pisses me off. I understand Chinese fluently. I'm white. I ordered a bowl of noodles at the restaurant yesterday and there was some confusion with my order, so the waiter yells across the room to the person at the counter: "What did this LAOWAI order?" The word Laowai is NOT offensive. What is offensive is the fact that he didn't say "what did this customer order"? or "what did this young man order?" or something that places me in the same bracket as I regular customer. It's the fact that they treat us as outcasts - that is offensive, not the actual words spoken. Could you imagine if in the USA a waiter pointed to a customer who was a black guy and shouted across the room: "Hey, what did this black guy order?", or pointed to a Chinese customer "Hey, what did this Asian guy order?". Any of that would be considered extremely offensive. Sure, people may refer to other people as 'black' or 'Asian' or 'white' etc, when they are talking about them, but they at least make an effort to keep their voices down and make sure they aren't heard by that person. If people are whispering to each other about me and I catch the word "laowai", I wouldn't care at all cause at least they would be putting in an effort to not offend and would recognize that it isn't a nice thing to say. Instead they just shout it right in front of me, expecting that I don't understand Chinese, which pisses me off too - this whole concept that people from other countries are too stupid or lazy to learn Chinese (or Japanese, or Korean, or Thai, etc), so they just ASSUME the white person isn't able to speak it. China is an extreme case, I know that countries like Japan and Thailand aren't as bad, but I did experience some offensive people in those countries there too, like one girl in Thailand who thought 'Farang' can only be used to describe 'white' and 'black' foreigners, but Japanese, Chinese, Koreans, etc, who come to Thailand are not 'Farang', they are 'Asian'. Attitudes like that just piss me off. People should be treated like people - with respect and equality no matter what their nationality is. I think the continued acceptance of the use of 'special terms' to categorize 3rd persons 'who look different' does NOT create an ideal condition for equality, tolerance, or cultural understanding in these countries. Yeah, I know Asian countries have vastly different historical legacies and cultural backgrounds than other 'Western' countries, but if they want to mature and globalize, then they need to drop the widespread use of these BS terms. That's my rant for the day. I hope I'm not repeating what others have already said, I didn't read all the posts, but from what I did read, it seemed that a lot of people were missing the point.
Whatever

Postby Silaworld on Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:45 am

My conclusion is that it is crystal-clear you did not read the whole thread.
Silaworld

Postby cnx2011 on Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:32 am

sulasno wrote:1/2 Thai + 1/2 British is not Farang :lol: :lol: :lol:

it's something else Image

no it's half farang :P
cnx2011

Postby joefeather on Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:40 am

I just wanted to comment on the post by Old Thai Hand. I have been living in Isaan for three years now, and OldThaiHand was able to voice my observations very well. If you would like a another correspondance, Old Thai Hand, please contact me through my email. Thank you and very well said.
joefeather
joefeather

Postby OldThaiHand on Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:32 pm

I haven't commented on this thread for 4 years, during which time I left Thailand and worked in the Gulf for awhile and then in Vietnam for a year. I've been back in Thailand for about 14 months and can say that my critical opinion of Thai attitudes has only hardened further.
Personally, I don't care about the word 'Farang' one way or another. What I do care about is the continuing arrogance, condescending attitude and isolationism displayed by many Thais, which in the face of ASEAN in 2015 is going to lead to a very rude and unpleasant awakening for them. When the country is flooded with ASEAN workers from other countries who are better educated, speak English and willing to actually work hard and do a good job, the Thais are going to become 2nd class citizens in their own country. If you think the color-coded protests of recent years were vociferous and violent, wait until Thailand is high-jacked by better-prepared and trained SE Asians, especially Filipinos. Of course, Thais who are consumate masters of never taking responsibility for the ills that befall them will desparately cast around for others to blame, persecute and attack. Thailand has increasingly become an unpleasant place in which to live for foreigners and will become dramatically worse in the coming years for anyone who is an outsider.
OldThaiHand

Postby OzGeoff on Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:28 am

Sangjack wrote:My granddaughter is Thai+ Mexican+ White (American-Anglo) what do you suppose to call her then? As far as she concern she call herself an American. I agree with her.

Whatever her passport shows (or will show) is what she is. Despite what her country of birth may be.
One would hope that she does recognise and enjoy the best culture of her country of birth.
OzGeoff

PreviousNext

Return to Living in Thailand - adjusting + settling in