From a Thai Woman to You -- All Farangs

Re: From a Thai Woman to You -- All Farangs

Postby Chicano on Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:21 pm

Hi
I have been traveling to Thailand since 1990 and have worked here on some occasions. And in general I disagree with your assumption that the girls that cause problems are country girls, uneducated, and greedy. I've known a number of Thai girls from different socioeconomic levels in Thailand. And the most greedy and ambitious and focused are the ladies from "good" families. The ones that make the point that they are not bar girls or prostitutes. The ones that would never work in a bar, but secretly enjoy the thought of doing so, amazing..

It seems that the ladies from this class, are takers and accepting of all that you offer and actually never respond in kind. Actually almost an attitude of entitlement, it's dishonest at best.

I've known all types and have had many special relationship in Thailand with ladies. I'm thinking of retiring in your country for a number of reasons.

You should not be critical of the people who are the backbone of Thailand.

My comments are based on my own experiences and of course do not apply to everyone. It is a general observation and should not be taken personally. But it is an opinion.

Thank you
Chicano

Postby Ian on Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:20 pm

This debate is as old as mankind, when the Roman soldier retired in England he hitched up with a local girl, and the local girl was probably a "camp follower" as these were the ones he had contact with. The bar girl scene in Thailand was likewise created by American troops on R&R, and since perpetuated by tourists. For an ordinary Farang here, with no Thai language skills, no HiSo connections, his chances of meeting "decent" girls, whatever that means, is non existent.
Further if he does meet such a girl, usually while she is a student, then right from the start concepts like love play second fiddle to financial considerations such as SinSod, and the fact that a Farang cannot own his home here. Add to this the fact that a girl's family will always be more important to her than her husband and it is no surprise that Thai marriages often fail, and not just Thai-Farang marriages.
Ian

Postby Asian Hand on Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:01 pm

The bar girl scene in Bangkok was not created by American troops. It was well established long before and continues to be supported by Thai men in far greater numbers than foreigners in this town. There are many more bar girl theme areas in the Kingdom besides Soi Cowboy, Nana and Patpong. Try Srinakarin Road some nite between Rama 9 and Soi On-nut. Or go see an Auto Show. Equally mis-informing is stating that ordinary farangs (whatever ordinary means) chances of meeting a decent thai woman is non-existent is not correct. You have to chuckle at these farangs who would have us believe that the only approachable women in Thailand are in bars or university interns. With those perceptions they won't be here for the long term anyway.
Asian Hand

Postby geoffo on Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:19 pm

I confess, my hi so GF enjoyed the " tonight I am the customer and I want to pay you to ####### " game almost as much as she liked the " I am the policeman and now you have to confess or else" game.

Short , tall , thin or fat, they are all kind of yummy and any study of Thai history will show the mia noi concept was here from the beginning of time.
geoffo

Postby ccarbaugh on Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:14 pm

To state that there is no stigma attached to being a farang is simply incorrect. The vast majority of Thais see farangs as a means to advance financially but, the ones that are "doing o.k. financially," don't want to tolerate the behind-the-back-whispers and the "raised eye-brows" should they be seen with-or inteact with- a farang. Of course, commercial transactions are o.k.! ;)
ccarbaugh

Postby heavyshift on Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:54 am

DO NOT hold the idea, "Well, I know what they are going to say or do, but I'll do as best I can." Disregard that!
KNOW the spirit with which You do a thing is the spirit that will respond to you!

Edgar Cayce
heavyshift

Postby swfarang on Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:49 pm

So after reading all posts, how can i find the answer to the most difficult question: "Good girl or bad girl"?
Is a thai woman who has a monk as brother and father more religious by means of does she lie less? Will buddhism prevent her from doing bad things like marry a farang and then rip him off? Or does she just turn this into "Doing something good for my family"?
Yes, i am together with a thai girl now for a few months. I met her in my hollidays. In total i spent 5 weeks togehter with her in the last 6 months. Wie're chatting daily and also do daily vdeocalls. However i found some chats on her phone were she was chatting to other farang guys. Things like "I miss you..." and so on (she always was the conversation initiator). Maybe but i love her and i forgave her. She was very sorry (big crying event) and promised me to never do this again. However, she never asked me for money, i just gave. How i find out if she really loves me? What do you answer if you farang ask you "Why you love me?" Thai women please answer this :)
swfarang

Postby Omystic on Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:35 pm

I don't agree with you, unless you are referring to old westerners, with young thai girls

I am an American in my 50's in great shape and young minded and my g/f is 32.

We are treated with great respect wherever we go.

ccarbaugh wrote:To state that there is no stigma attached to being a farang is simply incorrect. The vast majority of Thais see farangs as a means to advance financially but, the ones that are "doing o.k. financially," don't want to tolerate the behind-the-back-whispers and the "raised eye-brows" should they be seen with-or inteact with- a farang. Of course, commercial transactions are o.k.! ;)
Omystic

Postby Dixie on Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:41 am

I have been with my Thai partner for 2 years now and I have to confess when I first met her I did stereo type her as a gold digger looking for a western husband to look after her and her family. I met her here in New Zealand by the way.
I have watched carefully for two years now and I am confident to say that I was completely wrong about her.
She has turned out to be one of the most honest, hard working and sensible people I have ever met, she never asks me for a cent and as an example, when I bought her a couple of tyres for her car she gave me the cash a few weeks later, even though I knew she could not really afford it. (I did not take it).
She is an Issan girl and comes from a rural background with little formal education. I have been to Thailand and met all her close family, again no one asked me for anything.
In this world there are good and bad people, that is a fact, I firmly believe I have found a good person and I will try my best to make her happy, so I am glad that I was wrong with my first impression of her.
Dixie

Postby Yeno on Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:01 pm

Ladywhite wrote:I do not deny what i learn from your experiences. but i would like you to please not assume that we all Thai women are just like that because we are not.

This is an old post, however I feel like sharing my opinion. You are absolutely right, many (most?!) of the farangs marring Thai women usually pick the wrong one. Be she a bar girl or an honest Isaan girl, if she is poor, she will start asking for $$. It seems to me that people like money much more than in other countries. And especially, they like spending someone else's money (the husband's ;) ), not necessarily demanding cash. Thai wives seem to think that it is the husband's responsibility to provide for her and her needs (maybe relatives, if in need - this I understand); it is, however, unthinkable for most of them that they - if marry and have a job - that they should also contribute to the spending. My dear wife is doing that too, giving me examples of some friend-of-a-friend of her who got married with a farang and she's doing nothing all day except shopping; I usually tell her that I'll treat her the same when I'll be a pensioner... many years from now :D
Another reason why they marry the wrong kind of woman is that, unfortunately, there are not so many Thai women with a stable, high enough income.
And so we go back to the culture problem, when the woman sees her man as a financial supporter of her.
That being said, you are right to say not all Thai women are bad (I've met some), but I must say that the percentage of those that will never ask/demand money from their boyfriends/husbands are very small.
Yeno

PreviousNext

Return to Getting married and divorced in Thailand - what's required