For the Foreigners who wished to retire, to work and or to live in Thailand

For the Foreigners who wished to retire, to work and or to live in Thailand

Postby Rooster on Sun Jul 17, 2005 10:15 pm

I am kinda tired of mis-information provided by some forumers. I always think that it is best to learn the law ourselves. Since we are learnt persons, otherwise...we would not be participating in this forum. This is a website from Thai Embassy in Washington D.C.. I often using the Thai Embassy in Washington D.C. for any information about Thailand when I am not living in Thailand. This is the link to information about Thai laws and other Thai Consular Information,

http://www.thaiembdc.org/index.htm

This website always has update information. So people need to check them often before making their final decisions. Good Luck!!
Rooster

RE: For the Foreigners who wished to retire, to work and or to live in Thailand

Postby Ian on Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:26 pm

Well said Rooster. Though, just doing a quick search on their web-site, I don't see anything about laws - let alone the laws banning foreingners from owning. And anyhow - as you know - some Americans, at least, have special rights of (eg. home/ land) ownership in Thailand, that other farang do not have. This via the Thailand-America Amity treaty. This favours Americans for their defence of Thailand, despite Australians and New Zealanders having done at least as much.
Ian

reporting deaths

Postby chorizo on Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:47 pm

What does the thai law require when a foreigner, married to a Thai lady, dies? Can we be cremated like the local thais do.?
Who reports it and to whom? Most Thai wifes would not have an idea where to go.
chorizo

Re: For the Foreigners who wished to retire, to work and or to l

Postby GORDON on Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:17 pm

I WISH I WAS ABLE TO RETURN TO THE COMMENTS I WAS READING BUT I WAS NOT LOGGED IN THEN , SO I WILL COMMENT ON THIS FORUM WHICH HAS GIVEN ME ONE MORE TO MAKE. I WISH TO POST MY CONCERNS ABOUT ORDINARY FARANGS WITH FAIRLY MODEST BANK BALANCES WHO LIKE MYSELF RETIRE TO THAILAND, MARRY A THAI LADY AND TAKE ON 2 THAI CHILDREN TO RAISE AND EDUCATE. WE HAVE TO SET UP A COMPANY TO BUY A HOUSE AND LAND WHICH GIVES THE WIVES VERY LITTLE INTEREST IN THE PROPERTY [ HALF OF THE FARANGS SHARE OF THE COMPANY ] OR IF BOUGHT IN THE WIVES NAME GIVING THE FARANG NO INTEREST IN THE PROPERTY AT ALL. THIS HAS CAUSED MANY PROBLEMS AND HEARTACHES WHICH COULD BE ADDRESSED BY THE THAI GOVERNMENT ALLOWING FARANGS MARRIED TO THAIS JOINT OWNERSHIP IN THE PROPERTY. MANY OF US ARE NOT INTO PROPERTY DEVELOPMENT AND HAVE NO WISH TO BE , WE ONLY ASK THAT WE ARE ALLOWED TO OWN A MODEST PEICE OF LAND TO LIVE ON , AND WANT TO GIVE SECURITY TO OUR WIVES AND CHILDREN. MOST OF THE LETTERS ON THE OTHER SITE WERE VERY BIASED AND ILLITERATE ON THE SUBJECT. I AGREE SPECULATORS HAVE TO BE LIMITED , THERE IS NOTHING UNFAIR ABOUT THAT . THE GOV. CAN OVERSEE LAND SALES AND IF ANYBODY MAKES TOO LARGE A PROFIT FROM THE INVESTMENT OR RESALE THEY CAN BE MADE TO PAY A RESPECTABLE TAX ON THEIR PROFITS. I WISH THIS HAD BEEN DONE LONG AGO IN THE U.K. I RESPECT THE THAILAND AUTHORITIES TRYING TO KEEP OWNERSHIP OF MOST LAND IN THAI NAMES ONLY BUT IN THIS DAY AND AGE THEY NEED TO BE A BIT MORE FLEXABLE. IT IS JUST AS WRONG THAT ONLY THE WEALTHY THAIS BE IN A POSITION TO BUY LAND WHEN IT COMES ONTO THE MARKET.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------THE OTHER COMMENT I WOULD LIKE TO MAKE IS ABOUT THE MISCONCEPTION THAT AMERICANS CAN OWN LAND HERE. THIS IS A LINE TAKEN FROM A PAGE OF CONDITIONS WHICH NO LONGER APPLY. AMERICANS ARE NOW IN THE SAME POSITION AS ALL FARANGS AND THE SAME CONDITIONS APPLY. I WISH US ALL LUCK THAT THE TERMS OF OWNERSHIP WILL SLOWLY CHANGE , AND WE WILL BE ALLOWED TO LIVE HERE WITH OUR FAMILIES IN FAIRNESS AND BE ALLOWED TO SHARE OWNERSHIP WITH OUR LOVED ONES.---------------GORDON-RETIRED :cheers:
GORDON

Postby triptrip on Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:03 pm

Hi, I find you post somewhat confusing.

You mentioned that you would like to own a piece of land in Thailand to provide security to your loved ones whom are all presumably thais (i.e. Thai wife and Thai children).

How can owning a piece of land provide security to your Thai wife and children?

Would it not be better to buy the land under their names outright? That is 100% security to your Thai wife and thai children.

In my opinion and in summary, the key word here is "Trusts". Most relationship in Thailand does not start off well. Mainly because the circumstances that they meet each other makes it a difficult relationship to last and grow. Those relationship that started off without such undesirable circumstances may be the exceptions.

My question is, if you profess to love your Thai wife, why not give her some security by buying a house under her name?
triptrip

Postby caznshaz on Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:34 am

[quote="triptrip"]

My question is, if you profess to love your Thai wife, why not give her some security by buying a house under her name?[/quote]

Well said!...and don't put in more than you can afford to lose. When a person builds a house with a wife, presumably it's because they have decided that they want to spend the rest of their life with that woman (and maybe her dozens of relatives). Whatever, I presume that is why most people would pull out a few million and build a house.....if it's not the reason then go have a head examination.

If you want to protect yourself from being thrown out then go get a usufruct made and you can stay for life, though if you become at loggerheads with your wife and family I guarantee the usufruct will not make you feel anymore comfortable and you do have the option of being nasty, as a person with usufruct can lease the house to a relative for 30 years. Have a will drawn up leaving the house to you if she dies - a foreigner can inherit land as long as it is sold within 12 months.

There are lots of options that can make you feel better if that's what you want, but the problem is that most men are too scared to broach this topic with the 'little lady' because little ladies are notoriius for getting moody, sulking and holding back nooky and a lot of western guys are just too timid or there's not enough trust and communication there in the first place.

I do agree it can be difficult discussing usufruct with a partner when the only communication is 'we go bed now?'
caznshaz

Postby rs2000 on Thu May 14, 2009 4:09 pm

I am sorry but i find many answers quite confusing. Thai law is confusing enough but is there a definite answer to a simple question?. However i am new to all this and why i am interested is that, i want to retire in Thailand. I am 50 and i also have a gf there and hope to get married by next year. My question is........ how, in the first place do we open an account in a bank there. When i went there i was told that i had to have a work permit. I read that you need to have your money in the bank before you are granted a visa. I would be very grateful if someone can provide a positive, direct answer as to how can i initially open an account in a Thai bank. Many thanks
rs2000

Postby villager on Fri May 15, 2009 8:51 am

rs2000 wrote:I am sorry but i find many answers quite confusing. Thai law is confusing enough but is there a definite answer to a simple question?. However i am new to all this and why i am interested is that, i want to retire in Thailand. I am 50 and i also have a gf there and hope to get married by next year. My question is........ how, in the first place do we open an account in a bank there. When i went there i was told that i had to have a work permit. I read that you need to have your money in the bank before you are granted a visa. I would be very grateful if someone can provide a positive, direct answer as to how can i initially open an account in a Thai bank. Many thanks

h I RS2000, Scy offers good advice, however if I may i,d like to Add a little , apply for a multiple entry Non O visa in your own country , this will give plenty of time to open your B/A cos you have to have your funds in a Thai bank for 3 months before applying for your retirement Visa , Kasikorn is as good as any in my view, all you need is the 800,000 baht , and as Scy advised take your time ,don,t rush headlong into anything, try to get advice from long time stayers in Thailand ,its actually a piece of cake once you know the score , also make it quite plain from the start you are marrying her not all her family otherwise you may have BIG PROBLEMS once you start to live here , I made this proviso right from the word go , because I,ve personally seen so much grief on the farangs behalf when his wife,s family just regarded him as an ATM on legs, and in closing DON'T lend money ,cos i,ve heard enough sob storeys on this score to fill the old testament.
villager

Postby villager on Fri May 15, 2009 11:02 am

Papadragon wrote:
villager wrote:
rs2000 wrote:I am sorry but i find many answers quite confusing. Thai law is confusing enough but is there a definite answer to a simple question?. However i am new to all this and why i am interested is that, i want to retire in Thailand. I am 50 and i also have a gf there and hope to get married by next year. My question is........ how, in the first place do we open an account in a bank there. When i went there i was told that i had to have a work permit. I read that you need to have your money in the bank before you are granted a visa. I would be very grateful if someone can provide a positive, direct answer as to how can i initially open an account in a Thai bank. Many thanks

h I RS2000, Scy offers good advice, however if I may i,d like to Add a little , apply for a multiple entry Non O visa in your own country , this will give plenty of time to open your B/A cos you have to have your funds in a Thai bank for 3 months before applying for your retirement Visa , Kasikorn is as good as any in my view, all you need is the 800,000 baht , and as Scy advised take your time ,don,t rush headlong into anything, try to get advice from long time stayers in Thailand ,its actually a piece of cake once you know the score , also make it quite plain from the start you are marrying her not all her family otherwise you may have BIG PROBLEMS once you start to live here , I made this proviso right from the word go , because I,ve personally seen so much grief on the farangs behalf when his wife,s family just regarded him as an ATM on legs, and in closing DON'T lend money ,cos i,ve heard enough sob storeys on this score to fill the old testament.

If you take the advice of Baron Von Trapp(ed in Trang and Bang-up in Buriram you're heading for the same situation they're in, living as tenants in their wives' houses supporting all the unemployed relatives, boats burnt and no way out of a lawless country heading towards total anarchy or Burmese style military dictatorship (it's on the cusp and could go either way) :shock:
Get into trouble of any kind and no one will help least of all the police , try reading other threads like :arrow:
"Tourism what are they thinking?" "new visa rules for foreigners" "A storm is coming for us..." "Multiple Farang Deaths in Phuket" "Rude immigration staff" "PAD and foreigners" "DEVALUE THAILAND BAHT" and "Thailand NOT For Sale"
They'll give you a fair idea of what to expect, the Land of Smiles is a misnomer now I know I tried living there from 2001 to 2007 and left for civilised English speaking Malaysia :lol:
With the THB at 52 to the GBP bring as little as possible, wait a few weeks and you'll see it revalued to 65+
Opening a bank account is easy, just walk into the Kasikorn with THB10,000 and your passport (they issue an ATM card on the spot and charge THB300 for it) I was 62 when I did it in 2002 at 4 different banks in Bangkok (they never mentioned a work permit) :idea:
Take your time is good advice (about 20 years should be enough) and don't rush into anything, she ain't going to run away as walking ATMs are thin on the ground in Thailand right now :roll:
I expect you're already sending money, I knew girls in Phuket who had up to six i.diots doing the same, have you bought her a new mobile yet, how's her mother's operation and is the sick buffalo better yet :?:
Maybe you should rethink the whole thing :?: unless you like walking in minefields, that is :lol: :cheers:

Yep The prophet from Penang speaks out eh, mind you Pappy it did take you almost 6 years before the penny finally dropped did,nt it , which even you have to admit is quite some time for a guy like yourself who seems to have all the answer,s,LOLOL.
villager

Postby rs2000 on Fri May 15, 2009 5:14 pm

Thank you for reply. But what is Scy?, i have already mentioned that i am not au fait with thse issues yet and i am learning. I did go to kasikorn and they told me that i needed a work permit. I'm going again in August ant will try talk to them. In the mean time be again grateful for further ideas. Cheers :cheers:
rs2000

Next

Return to Getting married and divorced in Thailand - what's required