Double pricing system in Thailand

Re: Double pricing system in Thailand

Postby Steve.A on Sat May 11, 2013 1:40 am

It does not just happen in Thailand,even in any part of the world,a visitor has to pay double..I think that it is not bad but up to a extent because a resonable extra aomunt should be charged from visitors. But it happens ..
Steve.A

Postby Homer_pe on Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:56 pm

NorDevil wrote:Maybe things are changing ? I have read alot about what happens if a farang is in a car accident . . . . . well,the other week I was in one.It was my fault.I bumped into the back of the car infront of me.I offcourse thought I would be skinned alive . . . . . but no ? The man from the insurance came and was nice and polite as were the people that I had hit.After about 15min I was asked to pay 2000,- bath.I would gladly had paid more but they was happy with this and I paid and could leave.A few days later I met my uncle and his girlfreind as he was going back to europe.We spent the day at the Imporium shopping centre and I wanted them to see "Siam Ocean World"
At first we thought we would have to pay close to a thousand bath but when we came to the counter to pay we were asked if we had Thai ATM cards.We showed these as we have both lived here for many years and we were asked to pay the same as Thais ! Fantastic !!!
On the bus or at the market I am now paying the same as every one else,but I will admit that I will never go back to Temples where I will be charged "Farang price" but I hope that some things are getting better.

Dear alls,
3 months ago (March) on my way to Rayong, I got a rear-ended. A pick up violently crashed my car and damaged my car rear side. Fortunately I didn't get any injury. The final police report states that the pick up cause the accident and that I was the affected one. Of course I hold a Thai driving license! So far my car is still in the garage getting repaired. Since the accident day, I am renting a car here in Rayon so I am wondering How to Fight an Insurance Company for Rental Car Reimbursement???
In two week I will have my car back with me... so I want to know whether that is possible or not. I talked to my insurance company about this but they say that is going to be if not rather difficult.
I will appreaciate any comments, and thanks in advance.
Homer_pe

Postby lookmoo on Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:47 am

Homer_pe wrote:
NorDevil wrote:Maybe things are changing ? I have read alot about what happens if a farang is in a car accident . . . . . well,the other week I was in one.It was my fault.I bumped into the back of the car infront of me.I offcourse thought I would be skinned alive . . . . . but no ? The man from the insurance came and was nice and polite as were the people that I had hit.After about 15min I was asked to pay 2000,- bath.I would gladly had paid more but they was happy with this and I paid and could leave.A few days later I met my uncle and his girlfreind as he was going back to europe.We spent the day at the Imporium shopping centre and I wanted them to see "Siam Ocean World"
At first we thought we would have to pay close to a thousand bath but when we came to the counter to pay we were asked if we had Thai ATM cards.We showed these as we have both lived here for many years and we were asked to pay the same as Thais ! Fantastic !!!
On the bus or at the market I am now paying the same as every one else,but I will admit that I will never go back to Temples where I will be charged "Farang price" but I hope that some things are getting better.

Dear alls,
3 months ago (March) on my way to Rayong, I got a rear-ended. A pick up violently crashed my car and damaged my car rear side. Fortunately I didn't get any injury. The final police report states that the pick up cause the accident and that I was the affected one. Of course I hold a Thai driving license! So far my car is still in the garage getting repaired. Since the accident day, I am renting a car here in Rayon so I am wondering How to Fight an Insurance Company for Rental Car Reimbursement???
In two week I will have my car back with me... so I want to know whether that is possible or not. I talked to my insurance company about this but they say that is going to be if not rather difficult.
I will appreciate any comments, and thanks in advance.

Insurance premiums are often collected centrally, while the payment of "claims" are allocated from the Local Office's budget. Some local offices often want to haggle or get their share of the Reimbursement that are being processed by HQ in BKK. In such cases you have to stay firm and can expect delays. Making a problem for the CEO/HQ that finally have to get strong handed with their local organization to not loose face..
lookmoo

Postby durant on Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:59 am

double pricing in thailand is offensive and a huge discredit to the land of smiles the eu and usa /canada should complain loudly to thai authorities about this disgracefull policy
durant

Postby toonsai on Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:04 pm

I live, work and pay my taxes in Thailand for a decade. This is a very sensitive issue for me and I systematically refuse to pay a farang price. It really irritates me... Better not to go in rather than pay the "farang" price, especially when i pay all my taxes here (without any right or benefit). This racist practice does not exist in Europe or other civilized countries.
toonsai

Postby renbe on Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:50 pm

I really do not understand why foreigners complain about paying a little more than Thai people. Most foreigners that work in Thailand (even those who pay taxes) earn a lot more than Thai people, and most expats live in Thailand because it's much cheaper than in their home country. And how much are we talking about on a yearly basis, $ 100 maximum? Consider it a small contribution to the country where you live happily.
renbe

Postby HarryB on Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:42 pm

The makers of the Hollywood film "The Coup", currently being filmed in Thailand, have been paying Thai extras Bt700 per day and Farang Bt2,000 per day.

Did I hear any Thais whinging about this?

Oh, wait a minute, yes I did!

Well now you know how the farang feel.

:)
HarryB

Postby Voice on Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:45 pm

Look like they will be paying back now hahahahaha Fools think they have won the price is much higher perhaps they haven't woken up yet ha!
Voice

Postby Bhanja13 on Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:05 am

Living in Thailand for 35 Years I find it easy to go around the double pricing system. I show my Thai driver license and explain speaking Thai very friendly that I am not a Tourist ... in 90% of all cases I am charged the Thai fee.
Bhanja13

Postby benp on Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:23 pm

we have a double pricing system in the uk too....... the only difference is that the locals and tourists have to pay the same amount........ !
benp

PreviousNext

Return to Domestic / cross cultural issues - Thai / Foreigner concerns