Don't get married in Thailand

Don't get married in Thailand

Postby Keneth on Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:30 pm

Don't get married in Thailand. It's a lot of paperwork and to difficult and headache. Get married in Singapore. Easy and nice!
Keneth

RE: Don't get married in Thailand

Postby John Murray on Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:42 am

Well it is a matter of paperwork for sure but it is not hard all.

I went to my British consulate in Chiang Mai with a affidavit I typed before hand got it stamped and back same morning. Dropped it off at a wedding boutique in town (Canna Cards) for official translation and certication by Thai authorities in Bangkok.We went back two days later and "Mrs Jit" took us to the amphur and was all donestart to finish within 3 days complete with an English translation of our beautiful Thai Certificate.

Is it that easy in Singapore? No flights,no hotels, No real waiting, except 20 minutes to register. Yes and a lot less than flights even on Silk to Singapore than for even one of us.

So tell me how it is better in Singapore!
John Murray

RE: RE: Don't get married in Thailand

Postby GGT on Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:29 am

John, i agree with you. I found it quite simple. One would think flying to Singapore just to get married would seem more difficult. Unless of course you went to Singapore for other reasons as well.
GGT

Postby Wonny on Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:24 pm

Yes , it's very easy to get a marriage certificate in Thailand as I have got with my Eng husband.

But to get a Settlement Visa in order to be with my husband in Uk is too difficult and become problems more than you realize.

My case is about being abused with documents and the interview by a racist and rude interviewer , so now I am seperated from my husband since we've got marrige for 5 months now but were together for nearly 2 years.

I do belive that one day soon, the British Embassy in BKK will have to be proved for the fairness and prejudice because its staff is ruining its system and credit.

Good Luck to you all.
Wonny

Postby alfred on Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:44 pm

Wonny,
I was aondering if you took your husband to the interview. My wife went to get her visa at the US Embassy, and I went with her. They had met me before as I took her there on several occasions. That day I just sat and waited. The man at the Embassy started being rude to my wife, and I jumped right up and told him his behavior was unacceptable, asked for his name, asked for his supervisor, and told him I'd be calling my senator when I returned to the US. He became very helpful, and we had no problems. I have heard often that the way to avoid the problems with a visa is for your husband to go with you.
alfred

Postby June on Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:20 pm

Wonny, um.. you mean now you cannot go to stay with husband in england right?

The embassy give you the reason, or not?
or maybe you have chance for 2nd interview .
I wish you good luck in this time.
June

RE: Don't get married in Thailand

Postby Ralph Haglund on Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:50 pm

It is interesting to compare the rules in different European countries, to get a permanent residence permit.

I am a Swede, and I usually hear that it takes appr. 5 months after the first application to get it. We have waited for 4 months now....... In Sweden a formal marriage is not supposed to change anything on that point, even though my wife (village marriage so far) was told, before the interview in the Swedish Embassy in BKK, that the interview had gone faster and easier if we were formally married. But as she is a reporter she was more used to interviews than the young Swedish guy who interviewed her there so......

The finesse is, that the Thai girls in Sweden (appr. 1000 come every year to their Swedish men) have a very active website at http://www.thailandska.se/ and every Thai girl with internet access can see the exact questions they will get at the interview and be prepared for them......

And also, of course, there is information what documents she must bring to Sweden so we get formally married here. And then the third necessary step in the procedure, some day, will be the marriage party in her home village........
Ralph Haglund

Marriage in Thailand and Visas

Postby Gary Delpiano on Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:00 am

I married my wife in Thailand and it was only a few days work and basically very easy. We applied for a Spouse visa to Australia and it was granted within six weeks. I must say the Australian Embassy Staff we dealt with were very professional and a pleasure to deal with. I beleive, after listening to many people's stories and my dealings with the Embassy that many people suffer delays because they don't always do everything that is required to make the visa. In the case of Australia, I just downloaded the booklet outling the visa requirements and we took the time to prepare it thoroughly. My advice ?? Cross all the T's and dot all the I's so to speak.
Gary Delpiano

Return to Getting married and divorced in Thailand - what's required