Is it normal to pick up the bride at midnight on the wedding day?

Is it normal to pick up the bride at midnight on the wedding day?

Postby Andy on Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:51 am

My Thai girlfriend and I planned to get married in Jan next year. Her parents went to an astrologer to find a good date and time for our wedding. Finally the date and time have been determined. However, it seemed a little bit strange to me about the time that astrologer picked. I was told that I will need to go to the bride's parent house to pick her up around midnight. Of course I will have to pass through the 'Silver Gate' and 'Gold Gate' before getting in her house. My question is... is it normal to do these things in midnight?

Any advise would help, thanks!
Andy

RE: Is it normal to pick up the bride at midnight on the wedding day?

Postby colin howard on Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:38 pm

hi andy , if i might suggest that if she wants to marry a farang and its quite obvious that YOU will have to pick up the tab for the whole shabang , i would just tell her its your way or no way , otherwise you will finish up financeing all and sundry for giveing her a lifestyle she could only dream of before she met you , and finish up like the many human "doormats" of which i,ve seen so many , one may think i,m a bit synical in what i write but time will tell if i was correct or not cos i know for sure you will completly ignore my comments ,regards ,colin
colin howard

RE: RE: Is it normal to pick up the bride at midnight on the wedding day?

Postby AD on Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:06 am

Well done Colin, you have told him, but will he have the brains to put his foot down 'right now ' at the beginning or will he be led along by you know what!
and be under their control till the money runs out or she gets her foreign passport as we see quite often in here. Perhaps the sensible thing would be a long home sharing engagement, if you get what i mean.
AD

Postby AD on Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:08 am

Another thing! who paid for the astrologer ?
AD

Postby colin howard on Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:22 am

hi AD, then there is the dowery of course he will have to give her parents for the honour of giveing there daughter a good life , this was tried on on me cos its the thai way , i just replied yeah but i,m not a thai am i , and sorry but if you want to do it the thai way i suggest you look elsewere ,needless to say she soon found the reverse gear , regards ,colin .
colin howard

Postby colin howard on Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:59 am

hi AD, maybe you can help our sam ,"advice on his old man getting married" looks to me like he,s got the dreaded beaveritus of which they say there is no known cure for farang man over 60 , i know you have seen several realy bad cases same as myself and maybe you could give sam the benifits of your knowledge on this terrible malady , i have heard that once the stricken has been cleaned out of his money he is instantly cured and i,ve actualy spoke to a german guy who ,was cured overnight when he went to the ATM and dicovered all he had left out of 2 million was 280 baht , i,d like to hear your and others views on this subject , regards ,colin .
colin howard

Postby AD on Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:08 pm

Colin 12th .
I tried to mate, but it seems that someone at Bk post does not like what i say, and it has not appeared.
AD

Postby Chanika on Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:11 pm

I am sure you find this weird. However, as I Thai I can assure you that it is not so unusual. Sometimes they even do it at 3 am. We are superstitious and irrational at times but if there is no serious harm done, it is not so bad to allow it for her parents' life time happiness. I am sure it will be phenomenon for them to have a wonderful farang son-in-law, who loves their daughter so much to go along with that. Having said that I myself don't believe in such a practice. But it is understandable to do so. Don't be too pesimistic about our way.
Chanika

Postby Chanika on Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:18 pm

Forgot to mention silver gate and gold gate. You are supposed to offer money to two people at the gate. Usually the ones at the gold gate should be closer to the bride and deserve more money. The amount of money depends on your willingness to give. This is just for fun. It is nothing serious. You can also bargain (you must have got used to it by now) saying that you have to save money for your future bride so you cannot spend it all at the gate, etc. Don't take these matter too seriously. It is just your life ahead that matters.

Thai womam
Chanika

Postby colin howard on Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:21 pm

hi AD, when writeing on a subject like this try not to use the F word i,ve heard its a definate NO NO in bkk forum , regards ,colin .
colin howard

Next

Return to Getting married and divorced in Thailand - what's required