Advise on how to marry my thai girlfriend?

RE: RE: Advise on how to marry my thai girlfriend?

Postby AD on Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:28 am

Robert 2nd dec.................Thanks mate, might take you up on that one day , but only if Colin leaves his "Cheap Charlie" hat at home .
AD

Postby Ian on Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:50 pm

Colin - I think you're painting far too pessimistic a picture for this young couple.
This guy could work in Thailand teaching English, and / or perhaps any other profession he has.
The fact the two of them are so close in age, gives them a pretty good chance of success, I'd say. Also that she has n't overtly latched onto him for money - since as he says, he does n't have any.
But on this he should remember that it's Thai custom to pay a dowry to the girls' family if he marries her. (Though among wealthy Thais, sometimes this is merely symbolic).
Also, that if she does eventually move to the West, she will eventually have full rights over property, children, etc - but he will continue to have few, if any, in Thailand. Of course none of that may matter if they truly, lastingly love each other.
Ian

Postby Ian on Sun Dec 16, 2007 12:02 am

Thanks for your advise Colin but on what grounds are you basing your judgement that my relationship is on shaky ground?
Ian

Postby colin howard on Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:14 am

hi ian , if you read ians post nov21 he says he wants to get married then take her to the uk , getting a tourist visa for the uk is difficult enough these days but a settlement visa for his wife is a nightmare if they both have only limited funds , what i suggested is the easy way out for people with little finance , if there love is strong enough it will survive him being away , i know of several cases up here that do the very same thing with great success , i,m aware the pitfalls for young people are enormous but with a will they can be overcome , regards , colin .
colin howard

Postby colin howard on Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:52 pm

hi ian , first of all i,m sorry if i appear to be somewhat of a pessimist , but the fact of the matter is that unless your future wife has property , a job and funds it will be extremely difficult for her to get a tourist visa never mind a settlement visa , only today i,ve read that uk tourist visas may be changed from 6 months to 3 and a 1000 pound bond will have to be paid up front which you lose if she overstays , the pitfalls of getting a uk visa for a thai national are endless , a good friend of mine who applied for a tourist visa unsuccessfully to get his wife of 2 years told me that his wife was not questioned but interrogated at the british embassy , please don,t get me wrong cos i wish you both all the luck in the world , but to have someone build castles in the air for you only to have them knocked down at some future date is not in my make up in any shape or form , choc dee , colin .
colin howard

Postby colin howard on Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:01 pm

hi ian , sorry if i did,nt explain myself a bit better , but by "shaky ground " i meant of course of you and your lady living together as man and wife in the uk , its obvious that you have a common bond but this is no criteria to the "overlords" at the british embassy believe me , colin .
colin howard

Postby Ian on Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:29 pm

His Ian - I'm the other Ian posting on this forum.
(Though there seems also to be a third one, who works in the British TV soap opera East Enders under the name of Ian Beale).
I think the best prospects are for you to stay in Thailand for a few years, and see how the realtionship works out between you and your girlfriend.
I've taken my wife severeal times to my country - on tourist visas. These were not too difficult to get, but not easy.
To get a marriage visa leading to permanent residency is much more difficult - unless you've been married long-time, and your wife has needed skills and or / money to meet your home country's requirements.
Ian

Postby colin howard on Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:00 am

hi ian , sound advice , but if you read ian #2s post dec 11 he states clearly he is without funds , no doubt she is in the same boat , i really think we have to view this problem in the british embassys eyes , and that is without funds, secure employment for her , and maybe even property in her name she has,nt a hope of getting a visa pure and simple ., also if he has no qualifications how can he get a job in thailand,? i advised him to work 6 months in england then have 6 months here , i know this system works a treat cos many young men do exactly the same up here in issan, regards , colin .
colin howard

Previous

Return to Getting married and divorced in Thailand - what's required