advice for a naive women

RE: RE: advice for a naive women

Postby Erica on Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:37 pm

"As I said, Erica. With my western mindset, I mentioned. I would say the same for a man that he is not a virgin or a spring rooster."

Rooster, my dear fellow long time forum contributor..

Please do not get lost in you own head. I was not really questioning what you will or will not teach your children. It is none of my business to begin with.

Your western mindset is irrelevant to the chauvanism I pointed out. And if it is with your western mindset combined with you Thai mindset, you should "definitely" know that chauvanism is most definitely "not" a western only thing. Please note, I was not the only one that recognized that. As far as western mindset goes, I am willing to go out on the lim and say I am probably more familair with it than you. But that is not the point. Chauvanism is not a one way street. I only pointed it out because it was so obvious to me (and at least one other person), but completely escaped you, hence the comment you made.

Truth be told, you've made some good and interesting points in this forum on a host of issues. But now and again you would say something really off the wall. This was one of those occasions. Is it right or wrong? I'm not the judge and will not be one. But I will tell you how I feel or what I think about what has been said (by any one).

So with that, have a happy holiday season and best wishes to you and yours..
Erica

Postby Ian on Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:04 pm

Rooster - here your views of Thai Theravada Buddhist attitudes towards abortion (very close to those of the Catholic Church) are very different from those often found in Japan.
There abortion is widely practised.
The attitude in Mahayana Buddhism/ Shinto
seems to be that a child is not a child until the moment of fully human consciousness - i.e. at birth.
Ian

Postby AD on Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:04 pm

Colin dec 28th ..........Have you ever tried to help one of them ??????? errr so i said to this brick wall , i said bla bla bla .......oh whats the use.
AD

Postby AD on Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:11 pm

Rooster ........Its ok, chauvanism is just a term describing those who know, by those who do not understand !
AD

Postby Rooster on Tue Jan 01, 2008 1:40 am

Ian. You are confuse Orthadox Buddhism with Christianity or Judism. It does not even come close in their belief systems or practices. Buddhism is the nature ways and universe way of how livings and non-living things functions. Buddhism is not even a belief system. How can I believe in something that is already what it is? It is like some people setting on their boats to some unknown places to them. When they arrived there, they claimed that they discovered it. How can I discover something that already there? I did not invented it out of nothing. Even gods can make somethings out of nothings if you believed in such a god existed. Buddhism is what it is and we just have to have to assign a name for identification. It sounded like Al Gore who claimed to invent the internet and global warming.
"What’s in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet."
Shakespeare, William
Juliet, in Romeo and Juliet
Rooster

Postby Rooster on Tue Jan 01, 2008 2:05 am

Erica. Many years ago, I decide to start contributing in BangkokPost Forum. The decision to write is not for intellectual or etc. reasons or to this particular topic. I actually tried to ignore this topic, but it got worse. My main reason was simple and accidental after many years of reading the news pages. I did mentioned my western mindset. So what is it? Foreigners in general viewed the world with their bias up being and cultures as the same for Thais who can not fathom the actions of foreigners.
For examples, foreigners can not recognize their own racism, sexism, and prejudices. Mostly, they would lumping their belief system on other of different races and cultures. So why did I get into this particular topic? Well, it appeared that some old white woman has a hot for a Thai man. Without knowing this Thai man, everyone is assumming the worst by painting all kind of racism, sexism, and cultural bias. These things that were mentioned are also commons in foreign countries like western and developed countries. How do I knew? I grew up in this foreign world for 4/5 of my life and with female and male members of my family gone through the same situations. After all, it is life and human lives. It does not matter what are their races and sexes. Each cultures and societies found and finding ways to remedy their own problems. For those with positions of powers, they would try to impose their wills on others for gains whether it is for more foods on their tablets or for heavenly paradises.
Even, I have my own biases after with these combined experiences. I found it is rude to labels without knowing since I can not know their minds and intentions. Since it is freedom of thought and not much of action that is more important. Since without thought, there can not be action. Oh, the mind-police will get me someday with real physical punishments.
Rooster

Postby Erica on Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:19 am

AD,
What is there to understand or not understand about someone implying a woman's worh is no far beyond being a virgin spring chicken? What do chauvinists know that I don't understand?
Erica

Postby Erica on Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:57 am

Rooster,
"foreigners can not recognize their own racism, sexism, and prejudices."

You're not making much sense here. My comment was to point out how chauvinist the statement you've made was. You're now suggesting Thais (or none western minds) are less chauvinistic? Surely you gest. You've displayed complete chauvinism in your comment and are now tossing that credit to "your western mindset"? Come on..
Erica

Postby AD on Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:25 pm

Come on Erica, i am not that bad, i realise that women are good cooks and good at ironing shirts etc.
but !
AD

Postby Rooster on Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:48 am

AD. Labeling is a rude form of ignorant. As Buddhist, it is a form of sin to be ignorant. In today's political correctness, western women seemed to enjoy labeling and putting down men by labeling them while they are talking about men freely. You do not find men trying to label women as female chauvinists. In any cases, chauvinism is seemed as purely male. This western notion of chauvinism are being promoted here in Thailand also with significant corrupted western cultural influences; good influences seemed to untransmittable world wide for some reasons due to mostly profits. As I said before, Thai men have been getting the bad wraps from the faitures of our leaders and bad foreign agendas...indigenous Thais are getting bad wraps too. They are leisurely being labeled with names for profits and for advantages of others. We are third class citizens in our own land. Our young women are being catering as prostitutes, servants, export commodity, and etc.. In foreign countries in EU or North America, Asian prostitutes are portraying themselves as being Thais including in the internet. It destroying our social and cultural integrities. With muslims, chineses, and etc. wanting to make their own dominations over the expenses over our backs. As you saw and see in this past election, it seemed fair and right to label rural Thais and indigenous Thais as vote sellers. If I have my ways and resources, I wish to take all these Bangkok urbanites and politicians to court for slandering and etc..
Rooster

PreviousNext

Return to Getting married and divorced in Thailand - what's required