Thai wife always asks for more money, keeps her 1 Million BHT in her bank. WHY???

Thai wife always asks for more money, keeps her 1 Million BHT in her bank. WHY???

Postby Tom on Mon Jan 07, 2008 4:58 am

I had known her for 4 months, got engaged while visiting for the first time for 2 weeks, yet, only 2 months later, felt the pressure to pay the 250 K BHT for the 1 rai village lot. She says she has 1 Million BHT in the bank, but, does not want to touch it (keeping it for her 2 kids future…?) Her Ex husband is quite a wealthy man who loves and supports only their 2 kids, ages 2 & 6, not her.
I have nothing to show for in my name, yet, she often asks me for financial help in some way or another, ie: supporting her, her parents, buy more related materials for “ our “ land….which I have concede to…but recently, she realizes that this trend is slowing down. I just wonder: why does she really not want to touch her own money? Or, Is it customary for a mother to save this much and this early in the little boys lives, considering their dad’s love & wealth?
Tom

RE: Thai wife always asks for more money, keeps her 1 Million BHT in her bank. WHY???

Postby Juan on Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:14 am

Sometimes I just wonder if the compulsive habit of asking for money is genetically install in the brains of Thai ladies!!
Juan

RE: RE: Thai wife always asks for more money, keeps her 1 Million BHT in her bank. WHY???

Postby colin howard on Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:07 pm

hi juan , only if they know you are a soft touch, of which there are many , 250 k for a rai of land in a thai village !!, if its in a rural area thats about 180k too much in my view , not long ago a good friend of mine bought 3 rai for 200k, and it was only 5 minutes walk to the main town , colin .
colin howard

RE: RE: Thai wife always asks for more money, keeps her 1 Million BHT in her bank. WHY???

Postby robin on Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:05 pm

Colin,
Inflation going crazy? My area is the same, paid 150,000 3 years ago, now next door is asking 400k. And it is selling, to Thais. I thought the economy was in the toilet, where is the money coming from? Two years ago I was the only house on the road, now there are 10.
robin

Postby Tom on Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:11 pm

OK Juan, I see your point, thanks....which is partly why I have slowed down the output of funds.
Still though, I'm curious....anyone on why she is reluctant from touching that money? She says she feels that she will need, in the future that is ( in 14 years or so ) to show her support to the kids...Does this jive in Thai culture??-- Tom
Tom

RE: Thai wife always asks for more money, keeps her 1 Million BHT in her bank. WHY???

Postby Rooster on Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:47 pm

Tom. You need to dump the old greasy palm and get over the sweet lips. There are plenty of women around in Thailand ... even for old, ugly, fat, nobody, uneducated, cheap, and etc. foreigners. There are lot of Thai women in almost a million who will not find the local men for mates or prefer foreign mates. Hey, being foreigners from developed countries already given them 50% edge over local men. Yes, \\\ //// charming trail story is popular in Thailand ...from Korean, Japanese, Chinese, and western movies.
Rooster

Postby juan on Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:20 am

Hi Tom,

I could be that your lady has got her money in one of those bank products where the money is tied up for a number of years so that she can get better revenue. It could also be that her ex-husband gave her that money when they divorced but made her sign a document where she can only touch the money when the children achieve adult hood.
There are many possibilities.

From a financial point of view it seems to me that keeping in the bank one million baht for 14 years is not a very sound thing to do. Having in consideration the rate of growth and the galloping inflation, that one million baht could be “peanuts” in 14 years time when she takes the money back.

Best regards
Juan
juan

Postby colin howard on Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:07 am

hi robin , no doubt you are well aware it depends on the location , i,ve heard figures bandied about the price of beach front land in samui as high as 800,00 a rai and that was 4 years ago!!, here in isan in the rural areas the norm is 40 to 50 thousand a rai , there are quite a number of lots here that have been for sale for years with no buyers on the horizon , of course this could be avoided and a benefit to all concerned if the totally insane and archaic land ownership laws for farang ownership were abolished to the political garbage bin forever , colin .
colin howard

Postby Erica on Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:45 am

Tom,
"I had known her for 4 months, got engaged while visiting for the first time for 2 weeks, yet, only 2 months later, felt the pressure to pay the 250 K BHT for the 1 rai village lot."

Did you reflect on the statement as you were writing it? No, this doesn't jive in the Thai culture. Actually, I'm not so sure it jives with any culture. I was actually pretty amused with Rooster's comment about dumping the old greasy palm and get over the sweet lips. But considering your statement above (and nothing else), it's difficult to disagree with Rooster.
Erica

Postby robin on Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:23 pm

Erica,
Possibily he confused the two.
robin

Next

Return to Getting married and divorced in Thailand - what's required