please advise

please advise

Postby Asha on Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:58 am

Please advise. Met a thai women in August of 2007. Stayed with her for 1 month. Went back at Christmas and stayed with her for 10 days.
I have a lot of western friends that live in Thailand and have visted twice before meeting her.
Met her in a go-go bar(which she quit on the day that I met her...and she says that she only worked one week), am currently sending her money, she is working in a hairdressers (which I have seen- says she gets paid 8000 per month-is this true?), she is having regular english lessons, father is re-married, sister is married and lives with her husbands family (I have stayed with them in the country for one night-sleeping on the floor ofthe shed-corrugated iron roof), mum is re-married and lives up-country with husband and his parents. My point is that the girl is alone. In her family, everybody else seems pretty soted. Basically, she's in Bangkok, bored and lonely and wants to be with me.....so I am going over to marry her and apply for the spouse visa. I have a good job, own apartment, I'm am of hindu religion (essentially the same as Buddism-and we have been to the temple together a few times), my parents are supportive (although, they obviously don't know that I met her in a bar), I'm 29 and she's 23.......any thoughts? any advise?, Any negative/positive signs to look for as I'm meeting her mum for the first time?...... my mates say is make sure that I get a pre-nuptial. I hear stories of these girls being manipulated by their families over the telephone. I hear stories of the "long-con", Also, how much should the dowry be for her mum?
Who would you guys recommend in terms of an immigration lawyer?
Asha

RE: please advise

Postby CCKING on Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:30 pm

Yes....Read this forum from top to bottom and then find another forum do the same.
Buy the way ,why in the heck are you in such a hurry to get married. Stop and smell the roses.
CCKING

Postby AD on Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:50 am

Yet another sad, very hasty case.........say no more !
AD

Postby Leum Laaou on Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:14 pm

Hi Asha, whatever you do look after your heart.

By all means marry her, but keep a portion of your heart locked away and safe. Do this until you know you can trust her.

Yes, get a prenuptial agreement from a lawyer you trust. Do not let her have access to, or know the identity of the lawyer. Do not let her make changes to the document, make a copy and keep it safe. Make sure she doesn't sneak it off somewhere and add another line in Thai that may nullify it.
Do you understand?

Sinsod, or dowry, does not have to large. I always maintain that sinsod should be symbolic and therefore minimal, 5000 baht at the most, if at all. You may wish to gift them a beautiful artwork which shows them you are cultured, and if they ask for more money it will show them up for being greedy. Be careful if this happens, it is a sign that money - and their ego - matters more than you.
Leum Laaou

Postby Observer on Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:45 pm

Are you serious?

You have known her for a total of 40 days and you want to marry?

Does anyone want to predict the future?
Observer

Postby AD on Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:52 am

DOWRY ? ..............I suggest that you find and read Colins answer to this question !
AD

RE: RE: please advise

Postby colin on Sat Mar 15, 2008 3:29 pm

problem is AD is that they solicit advice from all and sundry , take no notice whatsoever , get burned, then blame anyone but there self for getting into the bind they find there selves , so why bother?
colin

RE: RE: please advise

Postby AD on Sat Mar 15, 2008 4:54 pm

Ahhhhhh well Colin, if they all paid the same dowery as you, with the same explanation, things might be different !
I think that you and Charlie should set up a marriage consultancy business.............lolololol
AD

Re: please advise

Postby Burn on Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:19 am

All I need to hear is "sending money" and "getting married" after having known someone for ... a couple of weeks.

Are you blind? o_O
Why are you in such a hurry?
Burn

Re: please advise

Postby alohaman on Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:57 pm

My sentiments exactly, why are you in such a hurry. I have been in Thailand for 7 months now and have " dated " about 12 different Thai woman. Some showed their colors in a matter of days, some in a week or two. but in time they always will. Finally found one that I can trust but it was not easy. Kissed a lot of " frogs " along the way, lost some of my money but still have most of it. Take your time my friend, there are many very nice Thai woman and I have not seen any headlines of them being in " Short Supply "

Alohaman
alohaman

Return to Getting married and divorced in Thailand - what's required