Double pricing system in Thailand

Double pricing system in Thailand

Postby morelam on Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:24 pm

What do you think about the “double pricing system” in Thailand? :?:

What’s about this: Foreigners (farangs) have to pay more than Thais when they go to a national park (like Khao Yai in Korat), or a zoo (like Chiang Mai Zoo & Night Safari).
In Khao Yai they want to have from foreigners about 400 baht and about only 80 baht from Thais. Or let go your wife ask at a market in Bangkok for a simple t-shirt an you go and ask some minutes later for exactly the same shirt.

What would a Thai say if he ever has to pay five times or even up to ten times more then an American native when he is going to a zoo in LA?

I am very much interested in your opinion about this behaviour.

morelam

only on vacation in LoS
(Land of smiles or Land of sorrows?)
morelam

Re: Double pricing system in Thailand

Postby Mr. Surin Province on Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:19 am

Well....this can be a common practice throughout Asia for Western residents. Double pricing standards. It is what it is. I've questioned such nonsense myself, but don't take it too seriously. Don't feel put-down-upon or don't feel they're attempting to rip you off. Just the way it is. I've lived here for some 20+ years, primarily rural situations in Sukhothai; Phitsanulok; and now {for some time} in Surin. Certainly, the everyday market or shopping practices are not viewed in this way. But then, most everyone knows me. And, if I might add, my body language is that of "I'm not a stranger or foreigner" - even though we'll always be a Farang in some circles. Here in the border provinces, there is a wealth of historic parks, ancient khmer temples, etc. We frequent them often. I've never been charge as a foreigner {or tourist}. Certainly, my good wife wouldn't stand for it......
Mr. Surin Province

Postby Martinus on Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:58 am

From what I understand it is due to the fact that most foreigners do not work here and these parks are also
kept in good appearances through the state by means of the tax-contributions.
Foreigners that do work here, like me, have a tax card or a driver license to show they live/work here and
pay taxes and subsequently do get in for Thai prices.
Anyway go to a similar attraction in your own home country and compare entry prices...... it should make
you happy to pay foreign prices here...
Martinus

Postby DocN on Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:30 pm

I never understood it...but I never really cared!
I think martinus made a good point here (paying taxes) ...but on the other hand "being kept in good shape with tax money"...I don't want to discuss the "good shape "- part really!
DocN

Postby Mr. Surin Province on Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:12 pm

DocN wrote:I never understood it...but I never really cared!
I think martinus made a good point here (paying taxes) ...but on the other hand "being kept in good shape with tax money"...I don't want to discuss the "good shape "- part really!

Why does this not surprise me that you don't "understand"...........???
Mr. Surin Province

Postby DocN on Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:39 am

Mr. Surin Province wrote:
DocN wrote:I never understood it...but I never really cared!

Why does this not surprise me that you don't "understand"...........???

Is there any problem you and me have personally?
Or do you have to say something constructive?
DocN

Postby davyboy on Wed Nov 05, 2008 2:25 pm

I have to agree with Mr Surin Province, I've lived in a rural area of Nakon Sawan now for 15 years, and the traders in the local market all know me and only charge me the same as they would for Thai people, and I can even barter with them for some things.
As for national parks etc, I show them my Thai driving license and get charged as a Thai. ;) ;) :D
davyboy

Postby fast eddy on Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:32 pm

Have to say again that Doc N is right on the money - as is Mustava-mond. Granted, that if you submerge yourself long enough in deepest woop woop, you may be able to buy your bumee moo dang at the same price as the rest of the shoppers. However, you go and buy yourself a car and see what happens when the price is discussed? You won't be getting the great deal you were hoping for. Yes, sadly, this is how it is out here but that doesn't make it right! I vote with my wallet and spend money where I feel I'm getting a fair price. If the parks and temples want me to pay a 'non-thai tax' I just don't go in - its that simple. Go with the flow - buy yourself a cold beer and sit outside while your guests or friends who want to go pay their entrance fee. If in doubt and when in Thailand, kick back and have a beer - all will resolve itself sooner or later :cheers:
fast eddy

Postby Git on Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:25 pm

Do I think it is fair system no I don't. I can understand wanting to keep the parks beautiful. But this goes far beyond parks. I'm lucky I live in Udon and have for six years. I pay the same for my products a anyone else.

Recenly we took a vacation to Mae Hong Son, where a travel agent rather proudly explained to me that I had to pay more. Bad move and she was a nice lady. They really seem to think nothing of it. I did go on the tour of Karn village through this lady but I was not charged any differntly then a Thai. Truth is had she just gaven me the price for two people without singling me out I would not have hedged at the price

I doubt that now is the time to be doing this with tourist numbers down. Telling them they have to pay more then anyone else is not much of an essentive to get them to come.

I guess what the Thai's are missing on this they are not dealing wih Thai's. Try telling a black man in the states that he has to pay more to go into Disneyland because his skin is a different color.

I realize it's a Thai thing and for the most part I accept it simply because this is my home and I know where to shop.

This is not on the plus side scale to get foriegners here to spend their money
Git

Postby chawchaw on Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:11 am

I lived for 4 years in thailand ,I never saw a rediculous and nationalist and selfish country like that land . but the last events showed what was behind the smiles of coyots. now with no more tourists let's see to whom they will smile , to whom they will lie .................... it's only the begining of the end . thailand is standing on one leg , once it's gone , it's going to be like BURMA or worse.
I let you guess who is that leg!!!!!!!
you will get it thai people , you will get it . All countries are working hard but you still try to wash brains of farang with thai culture to get some money and you are still practicing segregation !!!! mama mamiyaaaaaa
chawchaw

Next

Return to Domestic / cross cultural issues - Thai / Foreigner concerns