Good Private Schools in Thailand

Good Private Schools in Thailand

Postby Pete K on Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:24 am

We have heard of this new" Internationalised" Curriculum being offered in Thailand. We wanted to know if it is appropriate for us as I am British and my wife is Thai.
Pete K

Re: Good Private Schools in Thailand

Postby Non Aligned Bangkok on Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:36 pm

As a teacher in Thailand I would strongly advise you to go for an international school with a foreign curriculam
rather than a Thai school.
There is a reason as to why rich Thai people send thier children abroad or to international schools to study.
Look at St.John's, Harrow or just do a search.
Non Aligned Bangkok

Postby Martinus on Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:13 pm

Having a friend who is the VP at one of the most prominent Universities in Thailand I would advise you, as he did me and for our daughter, to send her to a Thai private school.....the best advise ever, the girl never became the brat like others we have seen at friends' houses and she coped with university with ease whereas the International students are still discussing their social agenda's.....

So much people so much opinions...the truth; it depends on the quality of the teachers, talk to them especially the foreign ones and talk to the university where you think you would like to send you child or he/she might prefer...
Martinus

Postby Mr. Surin Province on Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:42 pm

International? Internationalized? Don't you mean "Eurocentric"? Sure....that's obviously regarding a Western-style education and the resulting product. Doesn't guarantee such knowledge, connections, nor awareness. You needn't look any further than to observe the "average" Westerner and what they really have obtained in their respective "schooling".
Mr. Surin Province

Postby fast eddy on Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:47 pm

I have to agree with Mr. Surin on this one, folks. I suggest a good Thai school who will teach decent etiquette and a certain amount of grace, generally, lacking in our western children. There is a good chance that she will make friends with fairly stable children rather than the international brat pack. Subjects not covered enough in school can be studied outside - English with a good tutor at home or in a reputable language institute, for example. Though, expect to be hit up for 'tea money' if you choose a big name school.
fast eddy

Postby fridge29 on Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:18 am

fast eddy wrote:I have to agree with Mr. Surin on this one, folks. I suggest a good Thai school who will teach decent etiquette and a certain amount of grace, generally, lacking in our western children. There is a good chance that she will make friends with fairly stable children rather than the international brat pack. Subjects not covered enough in school can be studied outside - English with a good tutor at home or in a reputable language institute, for example. Though, expect to be hit up for 'tea money' if you choose a big name school.

Are there any international schools located in North East? My wife is from Udon Thani, I have a son from prior marriage, living with me. We are at least considering the thoughts of moving. I have always been to Thailand on tourist VISA's so I have alot ot learn on required paperwork, VISA's etc.
fridge29

Postby stilljustbrowsing on Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:34 am

My friends were told, after subscribing and paying for a "Thai' education, "as you are the minority here, the lessons will be conducted in Thai" (international "acclaimed school")

The friends come from Myanmar and Pakistan.
stilljustbrowsing

Postby fast eddy on Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:57 am

To stilljustbrowsing.

Yeah, I'm sure that you are right. I taught for many years in a bilingual programme and though the mission statement for the school also stated that English would be the only language used, Thai was used as the main language by the classroom assistant teachers 99% of the time. :roll: They argued that this is Thailand and they love you know who! Of course this defeated the whole point of the programme. Parents ended up paying a million baht per year for an education which could be had down the road for 10 or 20 thousand bahts per year :lol: :lol: :lol:
fast eddy

Postby tez100 on Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:16 pm

We have heard of this new" Internationalised" Curriculum being offered in Thailand. We wanted to know if it is appropriate for us as I am British and my wife is Thai

Yes I checked that school and it is the way to go. It is targeted and setup to provide a high level international equivalent curriculum for Thai students and Thai mix students which sounds like your case. It has many advantages and they teach English and Chinese well too. Actually really well priced too. The school itself is really small though but I believe they will be building a large campus in the next year or soand that should make any choice a no brainer. For now we will be satisfied with the education environment they have and I guess just look forward to the next step in the campus.
We will send our two kids there next year in March for sure as we want them to have a good Thai schooling as well as international knowledge and standards. This school seems to be the only one we have found that caters for that in this way.
One of our boys spent a holiday session there during their last so called 'Summer Session' and really loved it. He also came back with more confidence and really surprised us with his progress. That was only 4 weeks long too. It gets my vote.
Trev
(p.s. My wife (and mother of my children) is also Thai and I am British)
tez100

Postby Moa on Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:40 pm

I am very dismayed to read a posting from someone introducing oneself a teacher when that person doesn't know how to spell the word correctly as in Curricula (plural form) or Curriculum (singular form).
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As a teacher in Thailand I would strongly advise you to go for an international school with a foreign curriculam
rather than a Thai school.
There is a reason as to why rich Thai people send thier children abroad or to international schools to study.
Look at St.John's, Harrow or just do a search.
Moa

Next

Return to Domestic / cross cultural issues - Thai / Foreigner concerns