Injunction sought against 3G auction
An independent telecom academic, Anuparp Thiralarp, on Wednesday petitioned the Administrative Court to issue an injunction halting the planned 3G auction by the National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC).
- Published: 10/10/2012 at 11:50 AM
- Newspaper section: breakingnews
Mr Anuparp, former president of the Thailand Telecommunication Management Academy, argued that current regulations on 3G set by the NBTC were not in the public interest.
He has demanded the NBTC review and improve its regulations for the benefit of consumers before moving ahead with its spectrum auction, which is set for Oct 16.
The academic said under the NBTC’s conditions, a company which receives permission to provide 3G services is required to have a service covering at least 50% of the total area in two years, and 80% in four years. The NBTC failed to clearly state its requirement about the remaining 20% areas, which is not correct, he said.
On the matter of service quality, the NBTC did not set any conditions in the event of system failure, which is a crucial problem. In Uganda, Africa, system failure was allowed at a rate of no more than 5%, he added.
Regarding the service speed, there was no stipulation on the minimum download speed, and this could lead to an ineffective service. Moreover, the NBTC had failed to set the maximum service fee and this could also lead to a problem and consumers would be again disadvantaged, Mr Anuparp said.
“These regulations and conditions are not clear and are not in the interest of consumers. I petitioned the court in order that the NBTC would review and improve such unclear points for the benefit of consumers, before calling the 3G auction,” he said.
On the NBTC's warning that if the petition causes any delay in the 3G auction it would bring a lawsuit against him for compensation for the damage, Mr Anuparp said the NBTC has the constitutional right to do so.
“I would like the conflict to be ended by the justice system and that the court gives a final ruling on this case,” he said.
About the author
- Writer: Online Reporters
- Position: Online Reporters