Boy dies in fireworks accident

ANG THONG: A bag of small firecrackers exploded in a boy's lap as he was riding on a motorbike with his stepfather on Wednesday night. The boy later died and his stepfather was badly injured.

  • Published: 29/11/2012 at 06:20 PM
  • Newspaper section: breakingnews

Police said the two were on the ground screaming in agony when they arrived. Parts of the motorbike and bits from the firecrackers were scattered along the road.

The boy’s body had a deep laceration near the genital area stretching all the way down to his thighs. His stepfather received lacerations to the middle of his back down to his waist, said the police.

Both were rushed to hospital. The boy was pronounced dead soon after he arrived while his father was admitted in a coma.

Niwat Singkumsorn, 32, and his stepson, 16, were riding on the motorbike and throwing small fireworks along the road, according to a witness.

Police concluded that the boy who was sitting behind Niwat was holding a bag full of small firecrackers. As he was lighting and throwing the firecrackers, he accidentally ignited the whole bag.

Police said they were celebrating Loy Kratong day.

About the author

Writer: Online Reporters
Position: Online Reporters

Latest stories in this category