Khmers insist Brit died of overdose

PHNOM PENH – British tourist Kristy Cadman-Jones died of an accidental drug overdose, according to Cambodian police.

  • Published: 9/12/2012 at 04:45 PM
  • Newspaper section: breakingnews

The former journalist died in her sleep on honeymoon in Cambodia on Jan 9 this year after taking heroin, which she wrongly believed to be cocaine.

She had been married to Damian Cadman-Jones for six months when the couple embarked on a four-week trip to Thailand, Vietnam and Cambodia.

Speaking to The Mail on Sunday, a senior Cambodian police officer described seeing at least three syringes along with a half-drunk bottle of whiskey beside the bed where the recruitment agency branch manager lay dead.

A British coroner recorded an open verdict into Mrs Cadman-Jones’s death last week, but pointed out alleged inconsistencies in statements made by her 31-year-old husband after she was found dead in a hotel room in Phnom Penh.

The senior officer told The Mail on Sunday, Mr Cadman-Jones was “completely distraught” and told police he went to sleep with his wife in his arms and woke to find her cold and dead at dawn. 

The officer confirmed that Mr Cadman-Jones was not tested for drugs or asked about the used syringes but said the case was now closed.

Mail Online


Latest stories in this category