Dozens killed in China floods, typhoon

Dozens of people have been killed and millions affected in floods ravaging north-eastern China and a typhoon that lashed southern provinces, officials said Sunday.

  • Published: 18/08/2013 at 03:23 PM
  • Newspaper section: breakingnews

State-run media said the flooding in the north-eastern region was the worst in several decades.

The Jilin province civil affairs department said 890,000 people were affected by the flooding, and 35,000 houses were destroyed or damaged with direct economic losses at 2.4 billion yuan (387 million United States dollars), Xinhua news agency said.

More than 100,000 people had been relocated, the provincial flood control and drought relief headquarters said.

Eleven deaths were reported in neighbouring Heilongjiang province, and three people remained missing since the floods began on August 10, it said.

Nearly two million people in Heilongjiang province have been affected, with 140,000 being relocated, according to the provincial civil affairs department.

Railways and highways were cut off and bridges were damaged by floods where rainfall was the heaviest.

The southern province of Guangdong and the Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region were battered by strong typhoon that left at least 10 people dead and four others missing, Xinhua said.

Typhoon Utor, the 11th and the strongest of the year, made landfall Wednesday near Yangjiang, Guangdong, after it crossed the Philippines earlier this week, killing at least seven people and leaving four missing.

About the author

columnist
Writer: Online Reporters
Position: Online Reporters

Latest stories in this category