Poll: Majority say civil war possible | Bangkok Post: Most recent

Most Recent >

Poll: Majority say civil war possible

- +

A majority of people believe there is a possibility of civil war because the country has long been plagued with unrest and violence, according to Suan Dusit Poll. 

The poll was carried out between Apr 1-5 on 1,434 people throughout the country.

Asked whether they thought the ongoing "political conflict in Thailand" would escalate into civil war as had happened in many other countries, the majority, or 68.55% of the respondents, believed the chance was high because use of lethal weapons was prevalent in many places and violence looked likely to escalate beyond the ability of the government to control it. About a quarter, 24.81% were uncertain, saying the situation was hard to predict; and 6.64% thought the chance for civil war to happen was slim because the Thai people were unlikely to do harm to their own country and fellow Thais.

Keep up-to-date with the latest on coup d'etat with Bangkok Post SMS News. Call *451391000 to subscribe – 39 baht/month (7 days free, available in Thailand only) Bangkok Post SMS News: Deliver only trustworthy news on SMS

This article is older than 60 days, which we reserve for our premium members only.You can subscribe to our premium member subscription, here.

34 people commented about the above

Readers are urged not to submit comments that may cause legal dispute including slanderous, vulgar or violent language, incorrectly spelt names, discuss moderation action, quotes with no source or anything deemed critical of the monarchy. More information in our terms of use.

Please use our forum for more candid, lengthy, conversational and open discussion between one another.

  • Latest
  • Oldest
  • Most replied to
  • Most liked
  • Most disliked

    Click here to view more comments