Philippines typhoon death toll 'likely to hit 1,500' | Bangkok Post: news

News > Asia

Philippines typhoon death toll 'likely to hit 1,500'

- +

The death toll from a typhoon that devastated the Philippines earlier this month will likely hit 1,500, making it the second deadliest since the country began keeping records, the civil defence chief said on Saturday. 

This file photo shows soldiers unloading a body bag containing a victim of a flash flood caused by Typhoon Bopha near the municipal hall in New Bataan, Compostela Valley province, on December 8, 2012. The death toll from the typhoon that devastated the Philippines earlier this month will likely hit 1,500, making it the second deadliest since the country began keeping records.

Benito Ramos said that so far they had counted 1,067 dead with more than 800 still missing after Typhoon Bopha hit the southern island of Mindanao on December 4.

This article is older than 60 days, which we reserve for our premium members only.You can subscribe to our premium member subscription, here.

0 people commented about the above

Readers are urged not to submit comments that may cause legal dispute including slanderous, vulgar or violent language, incorrectly spelt names, discuss moderation action, quotes with no source or anything deemed critical of the monarchy. More information in our terms of use.

Please use our forum for more candid, lengthy, conversational and open discussion between one another.

  • Latest
  • Oldest
  • Most replied to
  • Most liked
  • Most disliked

    Click here to view more comments