PROPERTY IN THAILAND, Part 5 Documents of land rights | Bangkok Post: news

News >

PROPERTY IN THAILAND, Part 5 Documents of land rights

  • Published: | Viewed: 1,067 | Comments: 0
  • Newspaper section: Spectrum
  • Writer: James Finch & Nilobon Tangprasit
- +

A couple of weeks ago we explained that the constitution protects individual property rights. But how are the rights to land bought, sold and evidenced in Thailand? 

The Thai Land Code was first enacted in 1954 but has been amended several times since. Chapter 4 of the code provides that owners get documents of land rights. You may have heard people calling title a chanote, this means title deed. It's the most definitive right a private party can have regarding land in Thailand.

There are other kinds of documents of land rights, called utilisation certificates, the Nor Sor 3, the Nor Sor 3 Gor and the Nor Sor 3 Khor. We're going to explain the differences between the chanote and all of these in more depth in later columns, but right now we're going to call all of them, including the chanote, documents of land rights.

This article is older than 60 days, which we reserve for our premium members only.You can subscribe to our premium member subscription, here.

0 people commented about the above

Readers are urged not to submit comments that may cause legal dispute including slanderous, vulgar or violent language, incorrectly spelt names, discuss moderation action, quotes with no source or anything deemed critical of the monarchy. More information in our terms of use.

Please use our forum for more candid, lengthy, conversational and open discussion between one another.

  • Latest
  • Oldest
  • Most replied to
  • Most liked
  • Most disliked

    Click here to view more comments