PROPERTY IN THAILAND: Part 19 Bringing in money for property | Bangkok Post: news

News >

PROPERTY IN THAILAND: Part 19 Bringing in money for property

  • Published: | Viewed: 1,425 | Comments: 0
  • Newspaper section: Spectrum
  • Writer: James Finch & Nilobon Tangprasit
- +

If you've been around the property business in Thailand you've probably heard about the foreign exchange certificate. What's the significance of this, and how does a foreigner bring money into Thailand to buy property? 

The rules for bringing in foreign exchange are fairly well known in connection with condominiums. Remember, unlike the situation with buying land, a foreigner can buy a unit in a condo in Thailand on a freehold basis. Freehold means forever, and is not limited by the period of a lease. The condo unit may, moreover, be inherited by the heirs of a foreign owner, so it's really an ideal way to buy property in Thailand.

But if a foreigner buys a condo unit here, from where must the money come?

This article is older than 60 days, which we reserve for our premium members only.You can subscribe to our premium member subscription, here.

0 people commented about the above

Readers are urged not to submit comments that may cause legal dispute including slanderous, vulgar or violent language, incorrectly spelt names, discuss moderation action, quotes with no source or anything deemed critical of the monarchy. More information in our terms of use.

Please use our forum for more candid, lengthy, conversational and open discussion between one another.

  • Latest
  • Oldest
  • Most replied to
  • Most liked
  • Most disliked

    Click here to view more comments