DEET in drinks killed sisters | Bangkok Post: news

News >

DEET in drinks killed sisters

  • Published: | Viewed: 21,864 | Comments: 25
  • Online news:
- +

The deaths of two Canadian sisters on Koh Phi Phi in June were caused by the insect repellent DEET in their drinks, according to Canadian media reports. 

Noemi (left) and Audrey Belanger were found dead in their room on June 15.

Results of the autopsy at a Bangkok hospital have not been publicly released, but they were shown to reporters for Radio-Canada, the French-language news network of the Canadian Broadcasting Corp.

According to the report, 20-year-old Audrey Belanger and her sister Noemi, 25, had DEET (diethyl-meta-toluamide) in their bodies.

Though the chemical is a potentially neurotoxic mosquito repellent, it is sometimes used as an ingredient to add an extra kick to a euphoria-inducing cocktail that is popular among young people in Thailand.

The cocktail known locally as 4x100 contains cough syrup, cola, ground-up kratom leaves, which are a mild narcotic, and ice.

It is thought that an overdose of DEET was accidentally mixed into the young women's drinks.

Large plastic buckets filled with different drink ingredients that are sipped through a straw are popular with Phi Phi partiers, who carry the buckets from place to place.

This article is older than 60 days, which we reserve for our premium members only.You can subscribe to our premium member subscription, here.

25 people commented about the above

Readers are urged not to submit comments that may cause legal dispute including slanderous, vulgar or violent language, incorrectly spelt names, discuss moderation action, quotes with no source or anything deemed critical of the monarchy. More information in our terms of use.

Please use our forum for more candid, lengthy, conversational and open discussion between one another.

  • Latest
  • Oldest
  • Most replied to
  • Most liked
  • Most disliked

    Click here to view more comments