MAE HONG SON: Rescue workers picked through the ashes of hundreds of shelters on Saturday after a ferocious blaze swept through a camp for Karen refugees in Mae Hong Son, killing 35 people.
Around 100 people were injured in the fire that broke out Friday night at the Mae Surin camp, provincial governor Narumol Paravat told AFP by telephone, giving a reduced toll from the 45 dead previously stated.
"The final death toll is 35. There was confusion in the body count," she said. Some earlier reports had put the number killed at as many as 62.
This article is older than 60 days, which we reserve for our premium members only.You can subscribe to our premium member subscription, here.