Two village defence volunteers were wounded, one of them seriously, in a gun attack in Yala's Bannang Sata district on Saturday night, police said.
The attack occurred at about 7.15pm while Klahan Pute, 61, and his son Tuanbori Pute, 26, both defence volunteers attached to a village defence base near Ban Kachalaki in tambon Bacho, were heading for the village in a pickup truck.
A number of militants hiding along the roadside opened fire at their vehicle with AK47 and M16 rifles. Mr Klahan was hit in the body and seriously wounded. Mr Tuanbori was slightly wounded in the right leg.
Both were admitted to Bannang Sata Hospital.
Latest stories in this category:
- Update: Charges shock Phuket journos
- Protestors: Dems must reject election
- No 'whistle-stop' for Yingluck at Surin
- Protest leaders seek international support
- Two police injured in Narathiwat blast
- Alcohol sales filmed at LPG outlets
- Confessed child rapist-killer 'worry-free' in prison
- Young offenders opt for ankle bracelets