Customs officials arrested a drug courier and seized more than 7 kilogrammes of cocaine, the largest cocaine seizure in Thailand in at least two years, when the woman arrived at Suvarnabhumi airport on Monday morning.
A woman wascaught smuggling over seven kilogrammes of cocaine into Thailand at Suvarnabhumi airport on Monday, Oct 28 2013. (Photo by Pattanapong Hirunard)
Customs officials said the woman, whose name was not given, allegedly admitted the offence, said it was the first time she had ever smuggled drugs and was only acting as a courier.
The estimated value of the seized cocaine was about 31 million baht.
On Thursday, a woman was arrested with 2.2 kilogrammes of cocaine on arrival at Suvarnabhumi.
Piyawan Jitwong, 28, was searched after stepping off a flight from India.
The suspect allegedly told officers that she had been hired for 70,000 baht by her Brazilian friend to carry his luggage to Thailand. She claimed that she did not know there were drugs inside the bags and the friend told her someone would pick up the luggage at the airport.
Before arriving at Suvarnabhumi, she said she had a stopover in Ethiopia and had stopped in India for two days.
Latest stories in this category:
- Prayuth again calls for peace talks
- PT and Dems shun byelections
- Trade boost expected from 4th Thai-Lao bridge
- Govt to compensate protest victims
- Lawyers ask court to end protests, dissolve Democrat Party
- Ambassador: US backs peace talks
- Yingluck cancels three overseas trips
- BMA appointments ruled 'unfair'