A suitcase checked in by a Thai passenger leaving for Cambodia caught fire this morning on the conveyor belt while being loaded on Bangkok Airways Flight PG 931 from Suvarnabhumi airport to Cambodia, caretaker Transport Minister Chadchat Suttipunt said on Tuesday.
Mr Chadchat said according to the report he received, some goods with a phosphorus content, intended for an exhibition in Cambodia, were in the suitcase. It was believed a chemical reaction caused by heat or friction started the fire.
"It was fortunate this happened while the suitcase was not yet loaded on the plane. It would have been very dangerous if the fire broke out while the plane was flying," Mr Chadchat said.
This article is older than 60 days, which we reserve for our premium members only.You can subscribe to our premium member subscription, here.