India's Supreme Court agreed Thursday to hear a petition seeking the cancellation of this weekend's Indian Grand Prix because organisers have allegedly not paid entertainment taxes for the 2012 event.
File picture shows Sebastian Vettel leading the pack during the last Formula One Indian Grand Prix at the Buddh International circuit in Greater Noida, on the outskirts of New Delhi, on October 28, 2012
"We will hear the petition tomorrow," Chief Justice P. Sathasivam said in court, announcing a new legal snag for Formula One in India which has been dogged by problems since the inaugural 2011 event.
The Supreme Court has executive powers and ordered organisers two years ago to freeze 25 percent of ticket revenues until they had settled a tax dispute with the state where the racetrack is located.
That ruling came in response to Public Interest Litigation filed by campaigner Amit Kumar, who is also behind Thursday's petition seeking cancellation of the race on Sunday.
Kumar successfully argued in 2011 that Formula One was entertainment and not sport, and should not benefit from tax exemptions granted by the state of Uttar Pradesh which borders the capital New Delhi.
Entertainment tax, applicable for large-scale shows and sponsored festivals, has been levied on tickets this year for the first time.
A spokesman for circuit owner Jaypee Sports International Limited acknowledged previous tax problems in 2011 but refused to comment on the new court case.
"We will wait for the court's directive this time around as well. Whatever the court says, we are ready to follow," Askari Zaidi told AFP.
Asked about the claim that taxes had not been paid last year, he replied: "Why should we comment on somebody's allegation?"
Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone had already removed India from the 2014 schedule, leaving the future of the event at the $450 million Buddh International Circuit in doubt.
After initially citing "logistical" problems, the billionaire was quoted in July as saying that "political" reasons caused India to miss out next year -- believed to mean the lack of government support for his private empire.
Indian driver Karun Chandhok expressed frustration at bureaucratic problems overshadowing the contest and said it cast India in a negative light.
"I think brand India is getting affected. People should not underestimate the power of F1 and power of sport," Chandhok told the Press Trust of India news agency.
"For the teams and drivers it is a big headache to reach here... you need to have an extra lawyer for the Indian GP," he added. "The bureaucratic process is so big and it should not be."
He added that he had been inundated by requests for help from foreign journalists who had been unable to get their visas in time.
Red Bull driver Sebastian Vettel was expected to seal the world title in Sunday's race, with local motorsports enthusiasts hoping that a successful contest could improve the chances of an Indian GP in 2015.
"With venues in other countries also fighting for slots, we can't afford to miss out in 2015," Vicky Chandhok, who heads the Federation of Motor Sports Clubs of India, told AFP.
"But I am optimistic that the promoters will work out an agreement with Formula One to have two more races. We have a great facility here," added Chandhok, the father of Karun.
The privately-owned Jaypee Sports International Limited, which stands to lose the most if the race does not return, insists that it will be back in 2015.
The lavish F1 roadshow rolled into Greater Noida, a burgeoning satellite of New Delhi, in 2011 and its slick organisation helped to erase some of the memories of the chaotic Commonwealth Games of the previous year.
But while the inaugural race drew 95,000 spectators to the 100,000-capacity circuit, numbers fell to around 65,000 last year. Sluggish ticket sales this year could see figures drop further.
Latest stories in this category:
- Swann quits international cricket in Ashes bombshell
- Five-star Bayern win Club World Cup
- Reina injured again as Napoli drop points
- NBA Wizards rally late to stun Celtics
- Costa double propels Atletico to top spot
- Clermont stay top after 69th successive home win
- Bayern's rivals slump to shock defeats
- Atletico take third despite Ronaldinho red card