Secret Circle, ridden by Martin Garcia, powered home to win the $1.5 million, six-furlong Breeders' Cup Sprint at Santa Anita Park on Saturday.
Martin Garcia rides Secret Circle (R) to victory in the Breeder's Cup Sprint race at the Santa Anita Racetrack in Arcadia, California, on November 2, 2013
The four-year-old trained by Bob Baffert was running sixth in the 12-horse field, but roared through the final straight to overtake front-running Gentlemen's Bet, who ended up third behind Laugh Track -- who finished second by a neck.
Secret Circle, winner of the 2011 Breeders' Cup Juvenile Sprint at Churchill Downs, was making just his second start of 2013.
It was Baffert's second winner of a day that started off in sad fashion for the American trainer, with a fatal injury to his runner Secret Compass in the Juvenile Fillies.
Latest stories in this category:
- Guardiola laughs off Neuer to City reports
- Johnson can bowl even faster, Australia coach warns England
- Pakistan, Sri Lanka in Dubai for World T20 tune up
- F1 doubles points for winner of final Grand Prix
- Pheu Thai to field candidates fresh from political ban
- New Zealand shore up batting in bowlers' paradise
- Bolt, Fraser-Pryce crowned Jamaica's top athletes
- Now-or-never for Champions League last-16 hopefuls