South Sudan's army said on Sunday it had completed its pullout from an oil field seized from Sudan, ending a deadly standoff which forced thousands of civilians to flee.
A wounded soldier of the South-Sudan's Sudan People's Liberation Army (SPLA) rests outside the Rubkona Military Hospital in Rubkona, South Sudan. Sudanese forces killed hundreds of South Sudanese during a days-long battle for Sudan's most important oil field Heglig, a senior official said Sunday.
South Sudanese officials said the withdrawal from Heglig had been ordered to avert a return to all-out war, but they accused Khartoum of air strikes against the departing troops.
This article is older than 60 days, which we reserve for our premium members only.You can subscribe to our premium member subscription, here.