Monaco's unbeaten start to the season in France came to an end on Wednesday as they were knocked out of the League Cup, going down 1-0 at Reims.
Reims' midfielder Antoine Devaux (C) celebrates after scoring during the French Ligue Cup football match Reims vs Monaco, on October 30, 2013 at the Auguste Delaune Stadium in Reims
A first-half goal by midfielder Antoine Devaux saw the principality club lose for the first time in any game since early May as they exited the League Cup at the first hurdle.
However, Monaco coach Claudio Ranieri had made as many as nine changes to the team that beat Lyon in Ligue 1 on Sunday, with the suspended Radamel Falcao among those missing.
This weekend, Monaco travel to face Lille in Ligue 1 in a meeting of the two sides immediately behind Paris Saint-Germain at the top of the table.
Lille have not lost or conceded a goal in their last six league games, although they were also knocked out of the League Cup this midweek, losing 1-0 at home after extra-time to second-tier Auxerre on Tuesday.
Other top-flight sides to progress this midweek were Evian, Sochaux, Bastia, Toulouse, Nantes and Rennes.
The 10 winners from this round will join France's six European representatives, who all received byes, in the draw for the last 16 of the much-maligned competition.
Latest stories in this category:
- South Sudan fighting escalates, US plane shot at
- US astronauts begin spacewalk for station repairs
- Khodorkovsky meets family as free man in Germany
- Turkish PM 'may expel some foreign ambassadors'
- Syria govt air raids 'wreaking disaster' on Aleppo
- Saudi sees stable global oil market in 2014
- Egypt's Morsi faces trial for prison break, murder: prosecution
- Iraq general among 15 killed attacking Qaeda: army