Children are our future. But if some children in some schools choose to take painkillers together with soft drinks because they are told by some older students that combining the two will create drug-like effects, our future might not be as good as we anticipate.
Just recently an eighth-grade student in a Samut Prakan school was taken to hospital immediately after overdosing on the so-called "Tramadol cocktail" _ a mix of Tramadol painkiller tablets with cola _ which was popular among students there as they believed it would create an effect similar to taking drugs. The painkiller was reported to be available over the counter from a pharmacy in the neighbourhood at only 2-4 baht a pill.
The boy was lucky to have survived. Yet there was no guarantee he would never go back to taking pleasure from the mixed drink again. The mother might feel relieved that her son did not die, but the incident surely gave her a severe and ongoing heartache.
This article is older than 60 days, which we reserve for our premium members only.You can subscribe to our premium member subscription, here.