Department stores are offering entire parking floors devoted to female drivers. Do you find this discriminating?

Send suggestions

Bangkok Post » Poll

• Start date:Dec 3, 2012
  • End date:Dec 5, 2012
  • Voters: 1,293 times
    77.0%
    21.2%
  • I'm not familiar with the issue
    1.8%

Share your thoughts

For more candid, lengthy, conversational and open discussion between one another, use our Forum

Report objectionable comments click here. Include: discussion #, commenter name, comment date / time as it looks on the page. Example: discussion 15: 09/01/2009 at 10:00 AM.

• Discussion 17 : 05 Dec 2012 at 16.3917

This idea will increase store profits because women spend more money shopping than men do.

• Discussion 16 : 05 Dec 2012 at 10.3216

@ Disc 15: they are the new testosterone-fuelled LadyBoy Lady Floor parking guards ... any man attempting to park in that zone will be repelled!

• Discussion 15 : 04 Dec 2012 at 22.1915

Why are there three naked farang in the image next to the poll question?

• Discussion 14 : 04 Dec 2012 at 21.0114

Who really cares. This is a waste of time and parking space.

• robins

ThailandPost : 1,866

Send message

Discussion 13 : 04 Dec 2012 at 16.4213

@Discussion 12 You hit upon one of the things I prefer about Thailand; here you are free to choose which persons you want to employ or do business with and which ones you don't. That's true freedom of association, the right not to associate as you choose, and that's another freedom we have lost at home. Here however, it's difficult to see how alienating 49% of the population is good for business.

• Discussion 12 : 04 Dec 2012 at 14.2512

Khun Chinagirl #8, I happen to agree with you. This is an issue concerning private property's right. The men who are not happy with the new parking policy can shop else where. The store may end up making more or losing money because of it. And as long as the taxpayers' money are not involved, who care, right? So, let vote with our Bahts, shall we?

• Discussion 11 : 04 Dec 2012 at 06.4111

Maybe we should also have male only floors? Protect we farangs from money hungry Thai ladies trying to find a husband or "mark" ?
    Of course, it is discrimination and no one can say it is not. If they want to protect women from predators, perhaps they could get all those useless security guards who man the doors and salute, to patrol the parking lot and offer real security and I hear they have invented a thing called security cameras that could also be used for many purposes in parking lots.

• Discussion 10 : 04 Dec 2012 at 02.4910

I understand the "real meaning of discrimination" perfectly well, but I'm also bright enough to understand the intent of the question as well. Without knowing the exact reasoning for the reserved parking floors, I still voted "No" for the exact same reason as Disc6.

• Discussion 9 : 03 Dec 2012 at 21.489

My wife said to me, "let me drive and we can park on the Lady Floor". I said "no thanks, I dont want my car dinged up".

• Discussion 8 : 03 Dec 2012 at 18.408

I think it can be viewed as a marketing ploy and sure, if any men are offended they can refuse to patronize this store. Maybe they are targeting the customers more likely to spend? Store shopping is a choice and if people wish to boycott out of principle then fine. I guess it will only last if it proves profitable.#5 I have worked for an American company for many years. Sure, some time ago management were probably over zealous in implementing policy and promoting in an effort to right previous bad practice. However, now most companies have an equal opportunity policy that works and use common sense over needless political correctness.

Sign in once and access every part of the website at your convenience!

Please log in to our Bangkokpost.com community to post your comments.
You can sign in to the community by clicking here.

If you weren't part of the community yet, please sign up here.
By being part of this community you will get all these privileges.