Should the name of "India's daughter" be revealed? Her father says doing so will give courage to rape victims who have survived other attacks.

Send suggestions

Bangkok Post » Poll

Should the name of

• Start date:Jan 8, 2013
  • End date:Jan 9, 2013
  • Voters: 590 times
    80.3%
    13.9%
  • I don't know
    3.6%
  • I'm not familiar with the case
    2.2%

Share your thoughts

For more candid, lengthy, conversational and open discussion between one another, use our Forum

Report objectionable comments click here. Include: discussion #, commenter name, comment date / time as it looks on the page. Example: discussion 15: 09/01/2009 at 10:00 AM.

• Discussion 6 : 08 Jan 2013 at 18.156

Whilst I have respect and sympathy for the father I am unconvinced that her name needs to be released. I am trying to gauge my own feelings on this, impossible sure. However, I believe that anonymity is important to many victims coming forward and we must acknowledge the stigma associated with rape in many cultures. Remember, this girl said sorry on her deathbed. Surely we don't need to know her name to keep up the momentum?

• dao

ThailandPost : 5,680

Send message

Discussion 5 : 08 Jan 2013 at 09.535

Respect the fathers wishes .Rapists have to be scared of the consequences .

• Discussion 4 : 08 Jan 2013 at 08.454

I see no reason to name the victim. What is needed most is a well publicized support system for all rape victims. Plus serious penalties for the rapists.

• Discussion 3 : 08 Jan 2013 at 08.263

This was more than just an "ordinary" rape. From the extent of her attackers, the attackers clearly wanted her to die. Burn them at the stake!

• Discussion 2 : 08 Jan 2013 at 07.212

Reading the news it seems like "India's daughter" could become a synonym for not only this one victim but for many similar victims. Exposing one gang rape is just the first step. Expose them all and jail the perpetrators.

• Discussion 1 : 08 Jan 2013 at 05.201

I voted "I don't know". Why? because she is unable to make that decision for herself. She is totally blameless and if she had survived how she chose to handle the horrendous ordeal would have been part of her healing process. If you give a name to a victim the media will come up with everything else.......total exposure. Would she have wanted that? I would like to believe there is already enough public support to give courage to other victims.

Sign in once and access every part of the website at your convenience!

Please log in to our Bangkokpost.com community to post your comments.
You can sign in to the community by clicking here.

If you weren't part of the community yet, please sign up here.
By being part of this community you will get all these privileges.