Do you agree with an editorial which said that the requirement for residents using non-immigrant visas to report their address every 90 days is a frankly unnecessary burden?

Send suggestions

Bangkok Post » Poll

• Start date:Jun 28, 2014
  • End date:Jun 30, 2014
  • Voters: 3,672 times
    92.1%
    7.4%
  • I don't know
    0.5%

Share your thoughts

For more candid, lengthy, conversational and open discussion between one another, use our Forum

Report objectionable comments click here. Include: discussion #, commenter name, comment date / time as it looks on the page. Example: discussion 15: 09/01/2009 at 10:00 AM.

• Discussion 11 : 11 Jul 2014 at 21.4411

It is not just farang need to report every 90 days. Even Asean members have to do the same and they are saying Asean is one family. But it is only Thailand, not the rest of the 9 Asean countries.

• sirron

ThailandPost : 1,314

Send message

Discussion 10 : 07 Jul 2014 at 11.4410

Things are changing...I went this morning to Immigration with my TM 47 (address report) and the officer did not look at it. She checked my passport, located my record on a computer, entered my entry data and the computer printed a 90 day extension from today. The new extension forms have a barcode with Nationality and passport number. The officer said there is no need to fill out the TM-47 anymore, but I still have to return in 90 days. This was at the Kapchoen Immigration Office, Surin.

• Discussion 9 : 30 Jun 2014 at 22.379

We live in Switzerland and all my wife has to do is to send me to the immigration, once a year:-) but in two years, she will get a passport and game over with the immigration.
    And BTW: She works and if she wants to buy land or something, no problem!!!!!

• Discussion 8 : 30 Jun 2014 at 10.278

Spiceman, what are you talking about? I lived in the USA for 25 years and never, not even once, did I have to report to immigration. I was able to work too. In fact I started my own business.

The 90 day reports are idiotic. If you get a one year visa, then you should be stamped in for one year. You should only be required to report a change of permanent address to immigration, and you should be able to do that via the internet, or mail. There is zero need to have to report in person.

• Discussion 7 : 30 Jun 2014 at 10.047

Think of all the trees and paper used, not to mention the printing business that would be so badly effected. By reporting every 90 days, people are effectively keeping so many Thais in work, not just the immigration officials. Those who have to travel have to pay fuel costs and maintenance costs if they use their own vehicle.All this spending helps the Thai economy. Ignore the damage you are doing to the environment, ignore the inconvenience, ignore the costs incurred; think of the benefits to the Thai economy. Be happy.

• Discussion 6 : 29 Jun 2014 at 20.036

The most logical and efficient approach to this matter is a requirement to notify the authorities within a specified period, say 30 days, of any permanent change of residence. Otherwise, the authorities can assume that you are still living at the same address. Perhaps there might be a sub-clause requiring someone to notify the authorities of any long term temporary move (say in excess of 30 days). These two suggestions will fulfill the needs of the authorities to keep track of resident foreigners, while probably eliminating more than 95% of the current reports, saving time all around. Some claim to have never filed a 90 report in decades.

• Discussion 5 : 28 Jun 2014 at 19.355

Surely you miss the whole point of it: MAKE WORK. There are many hundreds (more likely, thousands) of immigration officials sitting in their offices with not-much-else to do than await your visit (or watch TV.) Out here there are a lot of people manning the actual Border post - fair enough, they have a heavy workload - but there's also the office in-town with those officers who are waiting to check every detail of my passport every 90-days.

• Discussion 4 : 28 Jun 2014 at 18.334

Obviously most of us detest the trip to and the line ups at Immigration. Stupid we have to still fill in form TM47 but if you want you can mail it in.
    On the other hand not all farangs are law biding responsible residents. So I propose a compromise. Perhaps, we should do the 90 day reporting for say the first year and then maybe annually after that or whenever we move. Something like your Thai driver's licence .. you get a one year then a 5 year. Seems to me to be a reasonable compromise that serves both interests .. ours as inconvenienced law abiding residents and Thai Immigration that needs to keep track of us and the cheaters.

• Discussion 3 : 28 Jun 2014 at 14.223

If they must make us do it it should be available to do via the internet (in the same way we can do our tax returns). Every time I go I request this. Perhaps if enough of us request it next time we go they may do something. Next best thing is doing it by post - but this has been unreliable during the protests.

• Discussion 2 : 28 Jun 2014 at 05.532

In the US, I have to report to the US Immigration every 2 years to prove my residency. So, what's the matter with Thai Immigration, very 90 days is way too excessive! Imagine the waste of time for everyone involved, that can be used for something more useful.

Sign in once and access every part of the website at your convenience!

Please log in to our Bangkokpost.com community to post your comments.
You can sign in to the community by clicking here.

If you weren't part of the community yet, please sign up here.
By being part of this community you will get all these privileges.