Do you believe a 15 year jail sentence for smuggling / possession of 251 milligrammes of cocaine is too severe?

Send suggestions

Bangkok Post » Poll

• Start date:Jul 8, 2014
  • End date:Jul 10, 2014
  • Voters: 4,484 times
    55.2%
    44.8%

Share your thoughts

For more candid, lengthy, conversational and open discussion between one another, use our Forum

Report objectionable comments click here. Include: discussion #, commenter name, comment date / time as it looks on the page. Example: discussion 15: 09/01/2009 at 10:00 AM.

• Discussion 13 : 10 Jul 2014 at 23.0213

There is something very suspicious about this whole case. The lady in question made the serious mistake of challenging well connected criminals on their involvement in animal smuggling and so it is no surprise that she finds herself in this situation.

• Discussion 12 : 10 Jul 2014 at 15.0412

To BP : I have always been wondering why you cannot vote and see the results at the same time like in most of newspapers ?

• Discussion 11 : 09 Jul 2014 at 14.3711

How about tackling the tsunami of yaba destroying the country before worrying about a few grams od cocaine .

• Discussion 10 : 09 Jul 2014 at 12.3310

There is a complete lack of proportion in both the sentence and many of the comments here. 251 mg, a quarter of a gram! - is enough cocaine for about one shot, two at the most. It could only be for personal use. Depending on its quality, I understand its street value might be as much as $25, so this hardly seems like someone who is a trader. I think anyone who uses the stuff is stupid, but not a social menace and their criminality (It is against the law) needs to be judged in that light. I do stupid things too; I have smoked tobacco for over 50 years and I probably drink more than I should, the only difference is that the law allows me.

• Discussion 9 : 08 Jul 2014 at 20.459

I think the amount makes a big difference. A small amount is likely used by the person who owns it. I think that is their personal problem and risk. But a big amount (like a quarter of a kg) is not exactly for personal use. And if a person transports class A drugs with the intention to sell them that makes it in my view a crime which should be punished with jail time. I am still not sure if 15 years is appropriate compared to other crimes but that is another question.

• Discussion 8 : 08 Jul 2014 at 18.258

It does not matter how much drugs they have on them,they should rot in prison.

• Discussion 7 : 08 Jul 2014 at 17.247

@bkk-farang. The amount being addressed here is actually 251 grams yet BP keeps getting confused with the quantity that the Thai entertainment star got caught with. The woman had more then a pound of snowflakes in her luggage.

• Discussion 6 : 08 Jul 2014 at 13.486

If you do not like the law, there is a documented process for changing it. Until the law is changed, follow the law. Do not do the crime, if you and not do the time.

• Discussion 5 : 08 Jul 2014 at 11.225

251mg is an extreme small amount. I guess it does not even cover a finger nail. So whoever had this amount (if it is milligram and not gram) in his possession would have likely used it himself or maybe sell it to one person. Would someone be “high” on 0.251g of coke? Maybe, I don’t know, but it wouldn’t exactly be enough for a party. So what harm did this person do to civilization? Should everybody who drunk a whole bottle of alcohol in a night be in jail for 15 year? If not, then why should the owner of this tiny amount of cocaine be jailed for so long?

• Discussion 4 : 08 Jul 2014 at 11.034

Nothing wrong with this sentence, it is the lesser sentencing of other crimes that needs to be questioned.

Sign in once and access every part of the website at your convenience!

Please log in to our Bangkokpost.com community to post your comments.
You can sign in to the community by clicking here.

If you weren't part of the community yet, please sign up here.
By being part of this community you will get all these privileges.