Easy English news
- Published: 23/05/2012 at 09:57 AM
- Online news:
Muay Thai superstar Buakaw Por Pramuk agreed to a new contract with his camp yesterday to finally bring their lengthy dispute to an end.
Please join us on our facebook page:http://www.facebook.com/bangkokpostlearning
Buakaw Por Pramuk offers his apologies to Pramuk Rojanatan.
Click button to listen to Buakaw contract and rightclick to download
It looks like his time in the monkhood was a very good thing for superstar Thai boxer Buakaw Por Pramuk.
Only a few days after leaving the monkhood, a relaxed-looking Buakaw ended his long-running dispute with Por Pramuk camp owner Pramuk Rojanatan and agreed to a new contract to be signed on May 31. As a result, Pramuk agreed to withdraw his lawsuits against Buakaw and the Sports Authority of Thailand (SAT).
Yesterday, was the first time Buakaw and Pramuk had met since the Thai fighter left the camp in March. Buakaw took the role of the guilty party, apologising to Pramuk for the trouble he had caused. But he also negotiated a very good deal for himself.
Under the new deal, Buakaw will get a bigger share of fight fees and other income.
Fight fees and prize money will be split 60-40 while the boxer will get 75 percent of income from other sources such as TV appearances and product endorsements. The camp will receive the remaining 25 percent.
Buakaw receives around 1.2 million baht per bout. In the previous contract, fight fees were split 50-50.
Pramuk had sued Buakaw for taking part in a Thai Fight event in Pattaya last month without his camp's permission while also attempting to sue the SAT for not preventing Buakaw's involvement.
Under the agreement, Buakaw will continue using the camp's name but he will not train at the camp and he must seek approval before any fight.
"When I left the camp, I didn't think this would become such a big story and I'm still grateful to the camp."
The Surin native said he did not know when he would be ready for his next fight as he needs time to return to fitness and recover from an injury.
He added: "I don't know how long I will fight. If I feel I can't fight, then I will quit."
Adapted from a story in today's Bangkok Post by Kittipong Thongsombat.
monkhood – the fact of being a monk ความเป็นพระ
relaxed – calm and not worried อย่างผ่อนคลาย, ซึ่งรู้สึกสบาย
dispute – a serious disagreement ข้อโต้แย้ง
withdraw – to take away ถอน
lawsuit – a case that a court is asked to decide involving a disagreement between two people or groups คดีที่ยื่นฟ้องต่อศาล
take a role – to carry out a particular function or duty มีบทบาท
guilty party – a person or group who has done something wrong บุคคลที่กระทำผิด
apologise – to say you are sorry for doing something wrong or for causing a problem ขอโทษ
negotiate – to try to reach an agreement by discussing something in a formal way เจรจาต่อรอง
deal – a formal agreement, especially in business or politics การตกลงซื้อขาย, ข้อตกลง
share – one part of something that is divided between two or more people ส่วน
fee – an amount of money that someone pays to be allowed to do something, in this case to see a boxing match ค่าธรรมเนียม
income – money that someone gets from working or from investing money รายได้
split – to divide; to share แบ่ง
source – the place/person/organisation from which you get something แหล่ง
appearance – an act of appearing in public การปรากฎตัว
endorsement – official approval, in this case of a product for advertising purposes การสนับสนุน
bout – a boxing or wrestling match การแข่งขัน
sue – to take legal action against a person or organisation, especially by making a legal claim for money because of some harm that they have caused you ฟ้องร้อง
permission – allowing someone to do something การอนุญาต,การอนุมัติ,การยินยอม
approval – official permission การอนุมัต
grateful – a feeling that you want thank someone because they have given you something or done something for you สำนึกบุญคุณ
native – someone who was born in a particular place ชาวพื้นเมือง
recover – to become healthy and fit again after an illness or injury การฟื้นไข้
injury – physical damage done to a person or a part of their body อาการบาดเจ็บ
Related search: Buakaw Por Pramuk
About the author
- Writer: Terry Fredrickson
Position: Education Marketing and Support Manager