Warning issued for 'vehicle bombs'
- Published: 6/11/2012 at 12:41 PM
- Online news:
Security agencies and local administration organisations in the southern border provinces have been put on high alert for possible vehicle bombs during the lead-up to the New Year, a security source said.
The source said that according to reports from informants the militants had concealed bombs in eight vehicles, including trucks used for carrying rubber wood, vegetables and fruit, motorcycles and tricycles.
These vehicle bombs would be used to attack vulnerable spots in crowded communities, but no clear targets had been fixed, according to the informants.
The militants' intentions were to intimidate operators of shops and passenger buses into again closing their businesses on Fridays, the Muslim sabbath, now they had returned to business as usual after being assured of their safety by the authorities of their safety. They would also retaliate against government forces for killing and arresting a number of their members in recent operations.
Security agencies and local administration organisations had been warned to be on high alert.
According to the warning, violence would continue for the rest of the year and would intensify during the New Year festival.
Chaiyong Maneerungsakul, a member of the Advisory Council for the Development and Administration of Southern Border Provinces, said the reports were discussed at a meeting of the council on Nov 3.
The council had suggested that security units be more on the offensive, rather than defensive, during the lead-up to the New Year, he said.
About the author
- Writer: Online Reporters
Position: Online Reporters