Seh Ai: Next rally Nov 24 or 25
- Published: 8/11/2012 at 02:35 PM
- Online news:
The Pitak Siam group's next rally may be on Nov 24 or 25 and is expected to draw hundreds of thousand of participants with the aim to oust the government, organiser Gen Boonlert Kaewprasit said on Thursday.
Gen Boonlert, known as Seh Ai, said this after having lunch at the Royal Turf Club with ormer students of Classes 1 and 4 of the Armed Forces Academies Preparatory School who turned up to give him moral support.
A press conference would be held on Saturday, Nov 10, to give details on the rally, he said.
Seh Ai said he expected people from at least 100 networks to join the rally. The date had not been fixed but it might be Nov 24 or 25. It was not clear whether the Royal Turf Club at Nang Loeng would still be the venue.
He was confident the crowd would be at least 20 times bigger than the last rally on Oct 28, when about 20,000 turned up. The target set was one million, he said.
Gen Boonlert believed some members of the People's Alliance for Democracy would also join the rally although their leader Sondhi Limthongkul had said he would not take part.
The forthcoming rally of the Pitak Siam group would be make or break, it would be decisive. If the government held on to power he would call it quits.
"Without the people's support, how could we insist on continuing?" Gen Boonlert said.
If the people turned up in large numbers, but the government still clung to power, a decisive step would be taken, he said, but declined to go in detail.
Seh Ai said he had not made preparations to set up a new government in the event that the government is toppled. He would first make an assessment of the next rally.
He did not expect there would be a clash between his group and the red-shirts.
The situation would certainly not develop into a military coup because Gen Prayuth Chan-ocha, the army chief, had given an assurance that would not happen, Gen Boonlert added.
On the claim that there had been a plot to assassinate former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra during his visit to Tachilek, Myanmar -- a visit that was cancelled -- Gen Boonlert said people in the government had made up the story.
It was not logical that anyone would deliver weapons from Thailand to carry out an armed attack in Myanmar. It would affect relations between the two countries, he said.
Mongkolkit Suksitaranont, secretary-general of the Nation Associate Anti-Corruption Network's (NACN), today petitioned the Crime Supression Division to investigate and take legal action against Thaksin's son Phanthongtae and Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yubamrung, accusing them of fabricating the story of a plot to assassinate Thaksin.
Mr Mongkolkit said he wondered why the Myanmar government had not issued any statement concerning this matter.
The claim by Phanthongtae and Mr Chalerm could affect the relations between Thailand and Myanmar and might be a violation of Section 120 of the constitution concerning national security, he said.
Pol Col Prasopchok Prommun, the deputy CSD chief, accepted the petition for consideration.
About the author
- Writer: Online Reporters
Position: Online Reporters