Abhisit, Suthep to face more charges
- Published: 18/12/2012 at 05:36 PM
- Online news:
The Department of Special Investigation is pondering also bringing attempted murder and bodily assault charges against former prime minister Abhisit Vejjajiva and his former deputy Suthep Thaugsuban, DSI chief Tarit Pengdit said on Tuesday.
Mr Tarit said that in addition to those killed, about 1,500 people were injured in the government action against United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship protesters during April-May 2010. About 700 of them were seriously hurt.
For the 700 seriously injured, the DSI was considering filing attempted murder charges against the two Democrats. They might also face assault charges for hurting the others.
If the investigators agreed to lay charges against them, the DSI could wait until parliament goes into recess on April 19 next year or send a letter to the House speaker asking that parliamentary privilege be waived and the two instructed to report to answer charges while the House is in session, Mr Tarit said.
As for the deaths, the DSI was assigned to handle 35 cases. All of these cases had been forwarded to the Metropolitan Police Bureau, so it could ask the court to rule on the causes of the deaths.
A DSI source said the deaths were divided into four groups by area of incident.
The first group would comprise those who died on April 10, 2010 at Khok Wua intersection.
The second, third and fourth groups would be those killed between May 13-19, 2010 at different spots i-- Wat Pathumwanaram, the Bon Kai area on Rama IV road, Din Daeng, Phayathai and Ratchaprarop areas.
As for the attempted murder charge, the DSI would take the case of Samorn Maithong, the driver of a van, for consideration first. Mr Samorn was hit by five bullets when his van taking tourists to a hotel in Ratchaprarop area was fired at.
About the author
- Writer: Online Reporters
Position: Online Reporters