Govt aims to cut New Year toll by 5%

The cabinet on Tuesday approved a plan for the prevention and reduction of road accidents between Dec 27-Jan 2 during the New Year celebrations with an aim to cut the number of deaths and injuries by 5% from last year, government deputy spokesman Pakdihan Himathongkham said.

The spokesman said the plan includes measures to prevent and reduce accidents through strict law enforcement, improvement of traffic engineering, public relations and emergency medical operations.

Emphasis would be on stopping speeding and drunk-driving, enforcing wearing of motorcycle safety helmets, and a ban on people riding on the back of a pick-up truck.

About the author

columnist
Writer: Online Reporters
Position: Online Reporters