Warder's wife in shock, despair after murder

RATCHABURI -- Kaysorn Joisriket was still in shock and despair on Monday, unable to come to terms with the harsh reality that her husband Suthep had been slain by convicts attempting to escape Khao Bin prison on Sunday.

"We were looking forward to the (New Year) countdown on Dec 31 and now everything has crumbled before my eyes,'' she said tearfully on Monday.

Her husband, a warder at Khao Bin, was stabbed to death during the three-hour drama on Sunday, after being taken hostage by three inmates trying to escape from the prison in Muang district of Ratchaburi province.

Suthep had worked at Khao Bin for almost 10 years, after moving from Nonthaburi to the central province. He has left a widowed wife and orphaned son studying in Prathom 5 (grade 5).

A prison official consoles the family of warder Suthep Joisriket who was killed by inmates on Sunday. (Photo Saichon Srinuanjan)

Mrs Kaysorn said she was in despair and did not know what to do next after losing the breadwinner forever.

Somsak Rangsiyopas, the deputy director-general of the Corrections Department, promised to take care of the Joisriket family, including ensuring education for their son.

Mr Somsak said the tragedy of her husband's murder was that it was unexpected. The authorities did the best they could to save his life.

Suthep's mother, Mrs Muang, said she tried to convince Corrections Department officials to return her son's body to his hometown in Suphan Buri province, but they wanted to have the ceremony for him in Ratchaburi.

Suthep was held hostage by three prisoners who threatened him with an improvised knife and other sharp metal objects after he surprised them driving a backhoe into the prison wall in a bid to escape on Sunday afternoon. Police were called to the prison to negotiate with them.

One man, Suthirak Saengarthit, a convicted murderer, finally surrendered, but the other two -- Prasit Sansabai and Ronnachai Sriparnkaew --  refused to give up and stabbed the warder in the chest. Police responded by shooting them, killing both convicts. Prasit was serving a sentence for murder, and Ronnanchai a life sentence for drug offences.

Pol Lt Gen Harnpol Nitwibul, chief of the Provincial Police Region 7, said police had not yet interviewed the  surviving inmate.

The funeral ceremony for Suthep is at Wat Nong Nang Praew in Muang district, the same temple where rituals for Prasit are being held.

Related search: Khao Bin, hostage, warder

About the author

Writer: Saichon Srinuanjan